Here is the latest excerpt from the club’s first minute book which has now moved from 1928 in to 1929:

Meeting held on 18 February 1929
The Beds League game on 16 February resulted in a 4-2 defeat at Biggleswade scorers J Muncey and H Muncey. The game with Baldock was postponed due to ” the state of the grounds”.

The secretary reported that arrangements had been made for the AFA Senior Cup semi-final to be played at Hitchin.

Capt Asprey had attended a meeting with messrs Rigg and Remington re the bill of extra charges for the stand. It was agreed to take up with Rigg and Remington an item of £10 charged for the windows and that Capt Asprey and Mr H Foster go in to other items the committee thought very excessive and write to the contractors about this.

It was agreed that A S Furr be suspended sine die for not turning out for the club when required.

Meeting held on 25 February
Hitchin won at Baldock 4-3 in the Herts Senior Cup scorers Evans 2 and Hanscombe 2. In the Hitchin Hospital Cup Hitchin beat Walsworth 6-2 scorers H Muncey 2, Finch 2, Hillyard and West. The gate receipts were £6 13s 7d.

The secretary reported that we were drawn away to St Albans in the Herts Senior Cup semi-final and would play Letchworth in the final of the Herts Charity Shield.

It was agreed that a cheque for £20 be forwarded to the Commissioners of Customs and Excise as security for the entertainment tax re the AFA Senior Cup semi-final to be played on our ground on 2 March to enable us to dispense with stamped tickets. It was agreed 2,500 match cards be printed for this match. It was agreed to write to the secretary of the Supporters Club asking for six men for duties on the ground for this game.

Meeting held on 4 March
In the Spartan League match with Northampton Polytechnic played at Palmers Green the result was a 3-3 draw scorers Barker, Womwell and Thomson.

It was reported that the gate receipts from the AFA Senior Cup semi-final were £162 17s 6d and the ball fund realised £5 12s 10d.

It was resolved that the team to play at St Albans should travel by charabanc to leave at 1.45pm. Messrs Wooding, Lloyd, Grimes and Dennis were appointed checkers at St Albans.

Meeting held on 11 March
The result of the Herts Senior Cup semi-final at St Albans was a 6-2 defeat scorers Davey and Thomson. The result of the Hitchin Hospital Cup semi-final was a 5-1 victory over Hitchin Conservative W. M. C. scorers Crawley 2, H Muncey, J Muncey and West. Gate receipts were £8 10s 7d, match cards 17s 3d and ball fund £2 2s 11d.

The secretary reported receipt of a cheque from Baldock Town of £9 8s 5d. as half share of gate receipts plus travelling expenses from the recent Herts Senior Cup game.

The secretary reported that he had arranged with Mr Parker to roll the grounds on Tuesday at a cost of 30s per day. The committee endorsed this action.

Meeting held on 18 March
The match with Northampton Polytechnic resulted in a 5-1 victory scorers Evans 2, Barker, Bullard and Saggers. Gate receipts were £20 3s 1d, ball fund £2 3s 2d and match cards £1 19s 7d.

The secretary reported that the ground had been rolled with the petrol motor mower, the job lasting 4 days.

A letter from Rigg and Remington was received by the secretary who reported that he seen the architect who promised to call on the contractors to discuss the extra costs re the stand.

The question of prevention of trespass on the bank of the football field on the Bedford Road side was discussed at length and it was decided to note the effect of police notices.

Mr Duller brought up the question of the unemployed and asked if any arrangement had been made to admit them at a reduced price as he was informed that they had been admitted to a previous match at a reduced price. It was resolved that no reduction be made in price for any person.

More next week.