Alternative Report

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Alternative Report

Post by Greenfinch »

Well, you couldn't blame the team for lack of effort,more like lack of imagination. The first half, there was no shots on goal that bothered the keepers from either side, but Halesowen were playing the game with fast flowing attractive football, and pinned us down in our own half, oh for a ball over the top,Finn was running everwhere but to no avail, the frustration was there to see when he was substituted in the second half.
Second half saw Halesowen with a shot on goal and scored, we had our moments, but rushed them, and the chances went, along with basic mistakes, which didn't help.The thing is, we are a team in transmission,you need pre-season friendlies to do that, and time, which obviously we have'nt got, and the pressure on winning is not helping.But,its still in our hands to stay up, but we have just made it a whole lot more difficult.

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Alternative Report

Post by Chris_N »

I've waited to reply to this. After the many differences in opinion we've had in the past, I've agreed with you for most of the past year at least!

But can't blame the team for lack of effort? I just CAN'T agree. Not sure if it was effort but I didn't see any passion or real fight from a team that is now fighting (well not fighting) for survival. It was left to a 19 year old loanee to try to pull the strings in midfield and a 33 year old recently arrived defender to try and sure things up at the back. Besides that the only one who really showed any outward passion was LB - and Charlie in goal.

The team as a whole certainly didn't give a performance that showed they will fight to the end.

We've all sat back all season, watched the 18 defeats in the last 22 competitive games and said: "Nah, it's not going to happen". Some of us have been to every game and come away feeling the pain....pity some of the players out there don't show or feel the same hurt.

All I can say to the players going into the last two games is: Whatever your destiny next season, whether you care or not about the Club that has employed you in the last season, no player with any self-respect wants a relegation on their CV. Only one way to avoid it if you really care......grow some, roll up your sleeves and win the last two games - no option. Work like you've never worked before. If the opposition hasn't got the ball they can't hurt you.

Or you can sulk, turn up and go through the motions, and roll over and die. Depends what sort of person you are I suppose. If nothing else, think of self-respect and all of the people who work tirelessly to make it a pleasant club to be at. They don't deserve what's happening.
Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch »

Strong stuff indeed Chris,think you need to go into the dressing room before kick off on Saturday and get it all off your chest again to the players,perhaps even before it got this far, maybe ten games ago.I feel your passion, you're scaring me,and the effort made behind the scenes to make everying work on the day, too many to mention, but most of all the fans and volunteers, they do deserve better, and they still turn up with the same passion as you.
With regards to Saturday, I thought Halesowen, were a very good team, and we did well to hold them up to halftime, and they were playing as if it was a cup tie, and they only had one shot on target.Brett has only had a short time to get things right, even less now.I'm sure he too,will be burning inside to get those two wins.
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

Greenfinch wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:31 pm Strong stuff indeed Chris, think you need to go into the dressing room before kick off on Saturday and get it all off your chest again to the players, perhaps even before it got this far, maybe ten games ago. I feel your passion, you're scaring me, and the effort made behind the scenes to make everything work on the day, too many to mention, but most of all the fans and volunteers, they do deserve better, and they still turn up with the same passion as you.
With regards to Saturday, I thought Halesowen, were a very good team, and we did well to hold them up to halftime, and they were playing as if it was a cup tie, and they only had one shot on target. Brett has only had a short time to get things right, even less now. I'm sure he too, will be burning inside to get those two wins.
If I thought it would have any effect, I happily would but I am 100% confident that Brett outwardly feels and shows the passion that I feel. It's not just about the product on the pitch, it's also the implications off the pitch that a relegation brings. Fantastic attendances which I am sure the dedicated band of volunteers will do everything they can to keep improving on the match day experience and do everything to retain this, but for example, matchday income from gates will be reduced because you can't charge same prices for a lower level of football, and we will lose all of the bigger fanbases that the Midlands clubs have. I wonder how many players think of this, or indeed whether they care if they have no passion for the Club. Which is why you would hope, bottom line, that they have some self-respect and would feel some sort of honour or duty to at least give of their best for themselves!

Halesowen were a very good team but were beatable.

We'll see this afternoon. But tbh, I'd give shorter odds on Fulham beating Liverpool tomorrow! For me, I'll need to seek therapy on how to handle being home for my tea every Saturday!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic