Onward to the 2019/20 season

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Onward to the 2019/20 season

Post by Stuart » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:16 pm

I know that the last few weeks have been a little disappointing, results wise, to say the least, and I know we still have one away game and a HCC Cup Final to go, but I would like to thank all the players, Mark, Adam, and all the backroom folk for another exciting roller coaster ride of a season in the Southern Premier League and FA Cup! :clap:

Both Fred and I (92 last birthday, Fred, not me!) have come to as many Saturday home games as we can, which this season has been virtually all of them and whatever the result, whatever the weather, we always want to come back for more, and will do so again next season because I can say quite confidently that its Saturday afternoons at Top Field that have kept, and continue to keep, Fred young and me just a little grey-er each year ! :-D . Roll on next season :clap:

If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

Roblio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Onward to the 2019/20 season

Post by Roblio » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:36 pm

We would also like to thank Mr Burke, all the backroom staff, volunteers and the players for their hard work.

Leatherhead away was absolutely brilliant!

Sky Blue Canary
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sky Blue Canary » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Does one draw in the last thirty-odd games say it all? And that was against Halesowen who refused to score against us.

Some happy to fight for a win but not a draw?

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:45 pm

What are you insinuating Peter?

Sky Blue Canary
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sky Blue Canary » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:54 pm

Steve wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:45 pm
What are you insinuating Peter?
Nothing really, I'm keen on statistics and wonder if we could have manufactured an accidental draw instead of losing so many, with a bit more determination, but perhaps it was the wrong place to post that thought.

I've grown accustomed to finishing 4th from bottom while supporting Coventry but we normally have to win our last game to stay up, so no real complaints from me.

Looking forward to 2019/20.

Brian Parker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian Parker » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:27 pm

I'm looking forward to 2019/20 with some trepidation. Mark has got one hell of a job to turn this pigs ear into a silk purse!

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:58 pm

With eight players I regard as regulars forming the backbone of the team, I was disappointed with results tailing off in the last few games. It seems we need another five or six who will compete for places, perhaps?

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 am

I feel like I've watched four different teams this season - the Matt Lench period, Harry Draper period, FA Cup team and the one which has struggled. The fact its only taken the odd loanee to get them playing really well shows that the potential is there ..

Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Fabulous thread and shows the mixture of emotions that every supporter has felt this season. It has definitely felt like a roller coaster and as much as it feels very flat at the moment I am going to hold on to the positives that have shone through.

We have a very young team who have shown great promise; I hope they get a good rest over summer and come back stronger and fitter than ever, ready to take on what has been extremely strong opposition this year.

Come on you Canaries lets finish on a high with a Cup Win on Monday, and as a group of supporters lets rally as many as we can to show them our support :clap:

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:40 pm

If only there was still a Hitchin Town fanzine - someone would be able to do one of those School Report cards on the players!

As someone who has only seen about a dozen matches all season, the only "regular" who has consistently impressed me has been Isaac. Some of the more senior players - longstanding ones and particularly a couple who were new this season - have not looked at their best. I think that makes it tougher for the youngsters to progress.

Some of the loanees have been pretty poor too - that bloke who kept falling over at Royston - but Matt, Noah and Draper usually stood out when they played.

Also we seem to have more issues of availability this season and empty seats on the bench. Not sure what Keiran Barnes has to do to get a game! Are we suffering because of the change of league? Is our scouting network looking in the right places?

So do we build on what we have or completely overhaul the squad?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic