Onward to the 2019/20 season

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Roblio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Onward to the 2019/20 season

Post by Roblio » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:30 pm

russell wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 am
I feel like I've watched four different teams this season - the Matt Lench period, Harry Draper period, FA Cup team and the one which has struggled. The fact its only taken the odd loanee to get them playing really well shows that the potential is there ..
I think this is a really good summary of the season . We have a good spine running through the team just need consistency.

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:52 pm

Roblio wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:30 pm
russell wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 am
I feel like I've watched four different teams this season - the Matt Lench period, Harry Draper period, FA Cup team and the one which has struggled. The fact its only taken the odd loanee to get them playing really well shows that the potential is there ..
I think this is a really good summary of the season . We have a good spine running through the team just need consistency.
I agree completely that although sometimes things have looked pretty bleak this season, the introduction of Matt and Harry seemed to galvanise the whole team, so it might only take a couple of good permanent signings to make the team perform better than the sum of its parts.

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Can't see the point of a team with loan players and teenagers trying to gel with a core of established players, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.Thought the idea was to create a team of players that would honour the shirt,fight for their place and eventually turn into a league winning force. Before you all slate me, am not saying that the team has not tried at times, but recent games and the league table says it all.We get twice the gates of Royston and Biggleswade the fans contribute to the players wages, and look where we are, somethings not right, am sure some of you must have the answers.

Canadian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Canadian » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Greenfinch and Brian Parker accurately reflect my feelings about next season. Tough to be optimistic about the club after the last two seasons.

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:51 pm

Blimey lads, the negativity sometimes staggers me, I support Hitchin Town F.C through thick and thin. At the end of the day its not life or death, despite what some legendary football manager might once have said ! :-D .
If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

Brian Parker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian Parker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:13 pm

It's not negativity it's realism. The flaws are obvious. Our defence has been pretty reliable until recently, where I suspect disillusion and nervousness has settled in i.e. if we concede it's highly unlikely that we will get much out of a game. Up front we have an attack that can't shoot or head the ball. Take the Royston game where we had most of the posession but our shots were weak and wild. Royston with far fewer chances stuck two away emphatically and had another very well saved. We could also do with a really creative midfielder.

As for supporting through thick and thin well I think I can equal anyone. How many others can remember us playing in the wartime Herts & Middlesex league?

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:17 pm

Difficult to be positive when our last three home games yielded just one goal, against seven conceded. Too easy to mistake disappointment for negativity. Any fans new to Top Field may not wish to come again after witnessing these last few games. Coasting through the last few league games after achieving mere safety is not the way to attract the next generation.....

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:59 pm

[quote="Brian Parker" post_id=10334 time=1556215988 user_id=98)
As for supporting through thick and thin well I think I can equal anyone. How many others can remember us playing in the wartime Herts & Middlesex league?
[/quote]

I know one Brian.

I wasn't being critical , apologies if taken that way, I was just trying to keep a sense of proportion given everything else going on in the world currently, that's all. :)
If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:24 am

I think, just like the players, managerial staff, volunteers etc us supporters need to recharge our batteries over the summer, emotionally if nothing else, ready to get behind whatever team Mark can muster up. He & Parks have built a team from scratch once already. I'm sure they can do it again. It may take a couple of seasons to be a playoff contender as it did before so patience is the order of the day. The hard part for any club such as ours is being able to keep the players once the money men get wind of them or they get the chance to play at a higher level such as Kane & Lenchy.

After our emphatic win on Monday I shall be chilling for 3 months, well once Arsenal's season has finished. They seem to be mirroring us 😀.
Pessimists are never disappointed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic