South Eastern League 1901-8 & others

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: South Eastern League 1901-8 & others

Post by anthony.brown »

My next query relates to the shirt colours worn by the players from 1869. The AGM that year states that the shirts should be claret and magenta, as also worn by the cricket club. The colours were suggested by Peter Delme Radcliffe, as they were his horse racing colours. Our website suggests white and magenta. Could both be right?
Last edited by anthony.brown on Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

A PSF from 1904
10th September 1904 Leyton 2 (Doggett, Seeley) Hitchin 2 (Barker, Howard) Attendance 1300.

The 1300 spectators that witnessed this friendly match at the Hare and Hounds enclosure on Saturday, 10th September 1904, were provided with a very keen afternoon's entertainment, for the game, that was full of exciting incidents, resulted in a very even draw of two goals each. A distinct feature of a rather fiercely-fought battle was the fine defensive work accomplished by both sets of defenders. Chapman, for Leyton, and Allen, for Hitchin, gave particularly attractive expositions of the full-back game. Leyton won the toss, and Howard started for the visitors, who quickly swarmed round Capon, and Barker just missed scoring a sensational opening goal by hitting the bar with a rasping drive. Gingell, who was playing cleverly at half, next made a bold bid to capture George's charge, but the Hitchin custodian effected a fine clearance just as he appeared to have lost control of the ball. Only one goal was obtained during the initial half, and this Doggett scored for Leyton after Wood had placed a corner right in the mouth of the Hitchin goal. The Hitchin forwards soon atoned for their previous failures in front of goal in the second half, and before five minutes had passed away Grimes and Barker carried the ball through the Leyton defence, and Barker equalised with a beautiful shot. Still, Leyton would not be denied, and in spite of the solid defence the Hitchin backs presented, Seeley managed to elude their vigilance, and put Leyton ahead with a smart shot. Very fast exchanges followed this happening, and out of some loose work near the home goal Howard steered the ball past Capon, and once more equalised for Hitchin. It was a fine fought struggle from beginning to end, and the result, a draw of two goals each, was a true reflection of the game. Teams:
Leyton: Capon; Pigott and Chapman; Smith, Doggett, and Gingell; Wood, Seeley, Richman, Dwyer, and Bedell.
Hitchin: George; Allen and Hoggins; Stimpson, Cox, and Allbone; Cannon, G.Howard, E.Howard, Barker, and Grimes.
Referee, Mr A.Cook.
Sporting Life Wednesday 14th September 1904
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I have added an 1892 defeat at St Albans (2-9), and made other small corrections.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I have added some Spartan League details about the 1909/10 & 1910/11 seasons, which were played as an amateur team. Our 'struggling professional side' lasted from 1898 to 1908. The 1908/1909 season was not contested; and the club was revived for the 1909/1910 campaign.
Bottom of the league at the end of the 1910/11, with a goal difference of -57; I don't think it was a grandstand fire which caused our resignation from the Spartan League, (and hence our hibernation until 1928)! Anyone found any evidence for the 'grandstand fire'?
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I have added more details of Hitchin's Herts Senior Cup matches.

When Hitchin won it for the first time in 1895, the team could not be presented with the cup itself, as the 1894 winners, West Herts, had failed to return the trophy 'in the stipulated time'. Press reports of the day mention that Hitchin supporters travelled to Watford (from St Albans where the final was held) in a fruitless search for the whereabouts of the trophy!
Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller »

Thank you Anthony for posting all of this information and the work you have put in.

Its really interesting reading.
Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

Kate Deller wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:35 am Thank you Anthony for posting all of this information and the work you have put in.

Its really interesting reading.
:iagree: Fascinating info. thanks Anthony
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

anthony.brown wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:32 pm The AGM that year states that the shirts should be claret and magenta, as also worn by the cricket club.
I wonder when cricketers changed to playing in all white?

Of course, this shows that playing cricket in other colours wasn't something new that came in with the advent of one day cricket.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I have updated the South Eastern League scores. Everyone knows we beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on 14th October 1905. Thanks to ww.thechels.info I find that Hitchin also beat Chelsea at Hitchin a week later, on 21st October 1905, at Hitchin, again by 3-2.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

anthony.brown wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:04 pm I have updated the South Eastern League scores. Everyone knows we beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on 14th October 1905. Thanks to ww.thechels.info I find that Hitchin also beat Chelsea at Hitchin a week later, on 21st October 1905, at Hitchin, again by 3-2.
That's a decent claim to fame for Hitchin. Having looked at that site it might be best not to mention the result of the next three meetings!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic