South Eastern League 1901-8 & others

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: South Eastern League 1901-8 & others

Post by anthony.brown »

I have corrected a match in my list played on Saturday 14th October 1905 to show the correct home ground. A match well documented by Neil! Apologies.
I have removed Hitchin v Brighton thought to have been played 11th March 1905, because I can find no evidence for it.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I've added a few more results to my lists, but just realised that this thread is about the pre-Canaries era, and should perhaps be in Talk Football General?
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

I'd leave it where it is Anthony. Absolutely great job you're doing with this - thanks :thumbsup:
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I have added a few early results (1869/70) against Clapham Rovers and C.C.C. (Clapham Common Club).
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Hitchin FC matches (practice matches and friendlies) were played at Dog Kennel Farm, Charlton from 25th November 1865 until 30th September 1869, when games were moved to the new Hitchin Cricket ground at Hitchin Hill, on the edge of the Hitchin Priory Estate 'close to Squire Peter Delme Radcliffe's mansion'. Games were played at Hitchin Hill until at least 11th February 1871. The Bedford Road ground, later referred to as the Butt's Close ground and as Top Field was used soon after. But was the 1871 FA Cup game against Crystal Palace played at Hitchin Hill or Top Field?
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

I have never been able to establish this, Anthony. But I have a feeling I saw something that said "Paynes Park".
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Reginald Hine reckons that Paynes Park was used for football only in the Georgian period, c1714-1819. A meeting of townspeople in 1819 evidently forced the footballers out. Perhaps these early footballers continued on the public space of Butts Close?
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

Until 1819 Paynes Park was part of the Boys Grammar School. Following the meeting of the townspeople, the school had to use Butts Close for its sporting activities.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

MichaelD wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:51 pm Until 1819 Paynes Park was part of the Boys Grammar School. Following the meeting of the townspeople, the school had to use Butts Close for its sporting activities.
Thank you, Michael. When I was at the Grammar School (1961/66) we played footie with a tennis ball in the North Court. Mr Dolden, the head, had introduced rugby to the school to replace football.
CanaryHatter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CanaryHatter »

anthony.brown wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:17 pm But was the 1871 FA Cup game against Crystal Palace played at Hitchin Hill or Top Field?
I for one would love to know an answer to this question once and for all Anthony. Would be fantastic is we could definitively pinpoint one of the (if not the) first FA Cup games kicking off at TF. I wonder if Clubs has to submit a ground to the FA for the fixture? I assume not. :-(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic