John Gray AKA Hitchin John

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

John Gray AKA Hitchin John

Post by Brian »

It is with great sadness that I have to announce that Dad - John Gray - Hitchin John - passed away late yesterday evening.

Dad was a life long supporter of his home town club, following the team both home and away for many years plus volunteering in roles such as programme seller, 50/50 draw ticket seller and Supporters Club Membership Secretary.

He was also very well known on the local non league football scene and a regular in boardrooms.

Recently his visits to Top Field had been restricted due to ill health however he followed the club via Twitter and the North Herts Radio Commentary.
He continued his love affair with Non League Football from home as an Administrator for the Non League Matters Website, updating results and League Tables.

I will update with funeral details once known, all who wish to attend will be most welcome.

CanaryHatter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: John Gray AKA Hitchin John

Post by CanaryHatter »

Hi Brian - so sorry to read this awful news. John was a lovely man who will be dearly missed by all at the Club.
Sincere condolences to your family.

Canadian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Canadian »

Truly sad news. Condolences to his friends and family.

ian.taylor
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ian.taylor »

Brian. So sorry to hear this sad news about your father. He was such a friendly man and I got to speak with him a few times. Top Field not gonna be the same without him there. Thoughts with you and your family. Stay strong

Andy Denniss
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Andy Denniss »

I can only echo what has been said. A true gentleman. RIP

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

So sad to hear of John's passing. Of all our friendly and approachable volunteers, John was perhaps the most knowledgeable, with an encyclopedic store of memories. Sincere condolences to Brian and family.

Piltdown

Post by Piltdown »

Very sad news , lovely man who will be greatly missed. RIP John

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

On behalf of mum, my sister and I, thank you to everyone for the very kind messages of condolence and support.

Mum has been incredibly touched by all the messages, both by email and social media, not just from Hitchin Town players, officials, volunteers and supporters but by supporters and officials from other clubs as well.

Thank you to the club for the wonderful statement especially Roy, Mark and Tony Smith for the info on his playing days at Preston CC.

As Roy has said the family will be at the Banbury game on Sat 8 Feb when there will be a minutes applause to celebrate his life.

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH »

There are quite a few lifelong supporters of Hitchin Town Football Club but John was one of the best, dedicated & a true gent. Brian you can be very proud of him, which I'm sure you are. We'll all miss him at Top Field. This doesn't mean, Brian, you can be sloppy with your radio commentaries. He'll still be listening.
Pessimists are never disappointed.

Carl_M

Post by Carl_M »

Sorry to hear the sad news Brian.
May I pass on my many condolences to you and all your family.
John was always one of the first people you met as you entered Top field and as was always clear a tremendous fan and ambassador of Hitchin town.
Up the Canaries! :happy2:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic