All games off for the next 2 weeks at least

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

All games off for the next 2 weeks at least

Post by Stuart »

On the league website all Southern League games are being shown as postponed for the next 2 weeks, our next game currently is Saturday 28th.
Last edited by Stuart on Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: All games off for the next 2 weeks at least

Post by Steve »

Hope I’m wrong but I honestly can’t see us playing again before the end of the season, and that would make this season null and void!

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Any longer then they have said I think it needs saying null and void.

Actually quite angry the National and Northern Leagues have decided to go ahead with games..........Directly in many cases against goverment guidelines of avoiding gatherings of over 500 people.

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

I don't think the government or FA did the individual leagues any favours by putting the ball in their court.. after last night's U-turn I can't see any non league going ahead next week now and as people have said its hard to see how the rest of the season will get finished. Strange times.

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

Could still play to a finish IF the Euros are postponed and IF the virus is less damaging / widespread than expected. Although there would be issues of players' contracts etc which would have finished at end-May.

But realistically that isn't going to happen and it is just whether the whole season is declared null and void, or positions are decided by some fancy mathematics to account for different numbers of unplayed games.

And then we need to see how clubs will (or will not be recompensed) for loss of revenue. Maybe the Premiership can chip in?!

As for the stupid, macho decision of the National League, by next week they will have to reverse their decision. Already there have been protests from clubs and players - officially by Chesterfield and unofficially by Dulwich (for whom the season can't end soon enough btw!).

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Include the Northern League as they agreed to carry on playing!

ClubComms

Post by ClubComms »

Steve wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:19 pm
Include the Northern League as they agreed to carry on playing!
For sake of correctness, the Northern League (Steps 5 and 6) have cancelled their League programme until 4th April. It's the Northern Premier League (Steps 3 and 4) that decided not to suspend their League programme.

Likewise the National League (Steps 1 and 2).

It seems games are being evaluated and postponed on an individual basis. Only 5 of the 10 15:00 kickoffs got underway in the National League (Halifax v Ebbsfleet on BT Sports at 17:15). But there is a full programme in the National League South!

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. All I'm hoping for out of the season now is a nice sunny Tuesday evening in Lowestoft in June :-P
Plan for the worst, hope for the best......but always plan for the worst

Brian Parker
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brian Parker »

Can't see the point in cancelling games for eight days only. We know things are going to get worse. In the meantime we lose the income from two home games. As well as the virus it's going to be tough financially as six of our last ten league games would have been at home.

Andy Denniss
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Andy Denniss »

OK Here is my idea so the season isn't dramatically lost all together.

Take the current number of games played for each team and work out the average points per game. Then take the last 10 games (So get current performance) and get average. Then take the average from the two averages and apply to the number of games remaining.

So a team has played 30 games and got 60 points, Average 2 points per game. In the last 10 games they have started a run and won 8 out of ten so an average of 2.4 points per game. Then the average of the 2 will be 2.2 points per game for the remaining fixtures.

Depending on the level you want to take it to, you could use the same format for home/away games and for goals for/against.

The only downside is the playoffs, but i would just say the team that finishes 3rd in the revised league gets promoted .

Not saying i haven't forgot about something so any suggestions welcome.

Cheers Andy

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

With the FA announcing that all football is now postponed until at least 30th April, I think your suggestion is looking quite an attractive option Andy :thumbsup:
If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic