FRED ANDREWS

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

MickD
Gold Member
Gold Member

FRED ANDREWS

Post by MickD »

I am very sorry to announce that Fred Andrews, our Commercial Manager of the last ten or so years died early on Saturday morning. He had suffered a major stroke at home and was hospitalised on Friday night. Sadly he did not regain consciousness. Fred had recently celebrated his 93rd birthday.
Fred’s formal involvement with the club started around 2005 and was, as so often is the case a question of “wrong time wrong place” (or should it be “right time right place”)? Either which way, an innocent question regarding the commercial activity (or lack of it) at the Club during AOB at a forum convened to discuss the Supporters Trust, resulted in him volunteering to set something up. This duly happened and ever since then Fred has been at the centre of our commercial activity. Over the last few years his deteriorating physical health required that he took more of a back seat, but he continued throughout to work alongside me and maintain direct contact with many of the long-term sponsors that he had managed to recruit over the years. Only last week we were talking about next season (should that ever arrive) and what his input might be.

As a commercial manager Fred was far from typical. For a start, no other club that I know of has a nonagenarian operating that role. True he couldn’t get on with computers (attempts to mechanise Fred invariably failed) and the internet and all its marketing opportunities was lost on him. What he did offer was genuine warmth, kindness and traditional values and it is those qualities that ensured he was so well liked by everyone he met. He would always make me feel underdressed when we went visiting – he would be booted, suited and carrying that clip-board with 4 sheets of A4 and a price list secured within. Me in a pair of jeans a phone and a pen, if I remembered. Not sure what impression we made, but there you go?

Fred’s relationship with the Club was reciprocal. His involvement with the commercial side filled a vacuum in his life after his wife Joan had passed away and in return the Club was provided with the most loyal of servants who worked tirelessly to raise much needed cash, whilst always being a perfect ambassador for Hitchin Town FC.

I shall miss those conversations about Wink Saunders and old Charlton village, not to mention your voicemail messages and wondering why you really did need all that milk delivered every day? There are many amusing moments to recall, but that’s for another time.

Thanks for your company Fred.
Attachments
Fred Andrews.jpg

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: FRED ANDREWS

Post by anthony.brown »

RIP Fred. We have lost a true friend of the Club, who did so much for it. Top Field won't be the same without him. Condolences to his family.

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Such sad news, I was proud to have known him, loverly man.
RIP Fred.

CanaryHatter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CanaryHatter »

Terribly sad news. RIP Fred.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

A really nice tribute Mick.

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Such sad news.

Deepest condolences to Stuart and all Fred's family and friends.

RIP Fred

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

Sad to hear, Fred was one of the most decent people I've met at Hitchin Town, he had good values, was as honest as the day was long and he was a very genuine person.
No club is rich enough to take the loss of people like Fred easily. He will be sorely missed. My best wishes to Stuart and the Andrews family.

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Extremely sad news.

A true gentleman.

Condolences to Stuart and the Andrews family.

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

On behalf of Tina, Michael and myself I would like to thank everyone for all their kind messages of condolence and all the lovely words about Fred. Although he was my father in law, he was also my best friend and along with Tina and her brother Michael, shall miss him dearly.

Because of the current coronavirus situation, the timings and arrangements for the funeral have yet to be finalised, but once we have the details we shall let everyone know.

Thank you once again.

Stuart, Tina & Michael.
If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

Piltdown

Post by Piltdown »

very sad to hear this news. was a proper old school gent and sadly not many of those around these days.
RIP FRED

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Very sad news. Send my deepest condolences to Stuart and family. RIP Fred.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic