Are you sitting comfortably? then I'll begin..........

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Greenfinch
Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you sitting comfortably? then I'll begin..........

Post by Greenfinch »

I've often wondered how many Hitchin fans that were born in Hitchin still attend matches,with the closure of North Herts Maternity unit,most births are in The Lister at Stevenage, so unless there is a 'home birth' I and others must be 'The Last of the Few' so to speak.This is no disrespect to all the Hitchin fans, as we are all equal,who support us for many reasons, through families, schools,players and living here. It would be a nice idea perhaps, that the few could meet up once a year and talk about old times, with a social evening for all.
Meanwhile, I get asked which other teams I support,I always reply Hitchin Town. Although my mum was born and raised in Finsbury Park and a lifelong Arsenal supporter, and my Dad born and raised in Palmers Green a Tottenham supporter Hitchin is my team.I went on a coach tour once to The Nou Camp,and the guide lined up all the men, about twenty of us, and asked individually which team we supported, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, etc, when it got to me I said Hitchin Town, silence, but afterwards we had a great talk about non league football.
I started watching Hitchin with my mum and dad, they survived the blitz and moved here after the war.My mum actually fainted with the cold one year and an ambulance was called.I went to White City to watch the Amateur Cup Semi Final, courtesy of my sister who had appendicitis two days before the match.

MickD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Are you sitting comfortably? then I'll begin..........

Post by MickD »

Peter
Although it will surprise nobody to hear that I am Hitchin born and bred (probably), the Bedford Road Maternity Hospital was still churning out Hitchiners into the early 80s. Both my children, born in 1982 and 1984, drew their first breaths in rooms forming part of the building now housing the Citizens Advice Bureau.
If you can organise a get together of those interested, great. Bet there are more of us than you think Pete.

BTW Is this the first few paragraphs of your autobiography - serialised on HTFC Forum?

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I arrived at the Hitchin maternity unit soon after my birth, having been born early at home in Mangrove Green, so I don't really fit Peter's Hitchin-born definition. However, Mangrove was at the time in the Hitchin Rural District Council area.........................................

ClubComms

Post by ClubComms »

I would just like to say that is not a Greenfinch, it's a Yellowhammer...... :mrgreen:

This is a Greenfinch :acclaim:
Greenfinch.jpg
Greenfinch.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Plan for the worst, hope for the best......but always plan for the worst

Brian Parker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian Parker »

I came into this world on 28 February 1938 at Bedford Road hospital and can still remember (just) Hitchin playing in the Herts and Middlesex league. Subsequently when the first post war season started I remember wondering what on earth are we doing in this so-called Athenian League. And what are these leagues Division 1, 2, 3 South and North?

Canadian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Canadian »

I was born in 1944----Benslow nursing home I believe. My paternal grandparents moved to Hitchin in1927 from Leytonstone. West Ham fans naturally. My grandfather became Works Manager at G W King of Stevenage. My grandmother took me to see my first HTFC game in 1952. An Athenian League game against Hayes. To finish off us Hitchin boys know the difference between a greenfinch and a yellowhammer. These latecomers should not dispute this!

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

I was born even closer to Top Field than the maternity hospital - the use of Google maps and a ruler suggests that as the crow flies, my parents back bedroom in Bearton Road (where they still live) is closer :baby:

Can anyone beat that?

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

I bet Greenfinch will, probably hatched out in a bush at Top Field 🥺
I was born in 1952 at the North Herts Maternity unit in Bedford Road but my Brother, 7 years older, was born at Foxholes on Pirton Rd, ironically where my Mother spent her last days as it’s now a nursing home!

Peter
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Peter »

For me it was Mattocke Road, about half a mile from the ground.

Archie’ Dad

Post by Archie’ Dad »

I think my daughter Ottilie probably has the strongest claim so far to being the fan born closest to Top Field having been born at home in Bearton Avenue - before the land between the stadium and our back garden was annexed for car storage we could leave by our back gate and be on the terraces in less than 5 minutes - queues permitting!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic