Supporters Club

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Supporters Club

Post by Neil »

I heard today that the supporters club has closed down, what’s the story, anyone know ?

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Supporters Club

Post by Stuart »

Was news to me as well Neil, I saw the mention of it in Roy's bulletin "61000 reasons to be proud"

"Our Supporters Club has now closed down and Len Leroux and his committee members donated their closing funds of over £3,000 to the Crowdfunder appeal"

Must admit it didn't properly register until now !
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

So sad to hear this. A big thank you to all who kept it going so long. I will miss the warmth of the welcome everyone always got in the little hut (where we could shelter in the worst of the weather!)
Perhaps we could have a virtual SC online, perhaps replacing the under-used forum with a supporters' blogging site?
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

Yes, I think the members deserved something better than a footnote - all those years of paying membership fees. The fans do not have any representation now..
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

Neil wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:56 pm Yes, I think the members deserved something better than a footnote - all those years of paying membership fees. The fans do not have any representation now..
I agree with you Neil.......but all of you as paid members need to remember that the Supporters Club was set up as being independent of the Club. I should know, I was one of the original four "supporters who came forward to do this in 2000. The Supporters Club had its own constitution, which within it had contingencies for how assets should be disposed of should closure happen. This was last updated formally in June 2008 by.....myself. I stood down in 2010, and as a paid member I am unaware of any evidence of any further constitutional change since then.

I am replying here with two "hats" if you like:
- As a paid up "member" of the Supporters Club, I would expect that it would have been incumbent upon the three remaining elected "officers" of the Club to have consulted its members, and advise them of their intentions. It could be argued that then funds and assets could have been dissolved and transferred in the most appropriate manner. Speaking personally, the fact is that all of the monetary contributions made by members to the Supporters Club have found their way back to the Club, which is arguably in keeping with the objectives. But no consultation and communication from anyone.
- As a member of the Management Committee, it is important that there is no misconception by any Supporter that the Club is in anyway accountable for the mechanics of how the Supporters Club has disbanded. The Club can only report on what it knows to be so, from information which the Supporters Club supplies them, and that is what happened.

So going forward, my own personal view, whatever hat I am wearing, is a view that this season is very much an "interim" season to get us back on our feet. My hope is that in the future, from next season onwards, we can have people step forward willing to form a new and robust Supporters' organisation that can work with the Club, and where the emphasis is on supporter representation, teamwork and effective communication.

I have been involved in direct volunteering with this Club for twenty years now, and I can honestly say that at this time, the atmosphere, positivity, people supporting each other and working together as a team, has NEVER been as good as it is currently. NEVER. There is a total feelgood factor round the place which we are working really hard to maintain and improve. Sure there will be challenges, but with those will come further improvements for sure.

For me, this is the best time I've had to be volunteering at the Club.
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

Thanks Chris for the explanation, of course the SC was independent, I realise that.
Did anyone communicate the folding of the SC to the members, then? I presume not.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

I hadn't realized the Supporters Club had folded but then I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment.

Traditionally the SC had run the club shop, organised coaches and sold Golden Goals and 50/50's among other things. I know Golden Goals and 50/50's are not being sold due to Covid at the moment.

Given all the club committee are volunteers and supporters as such I don't think there is a need for the SC these days.
Everything seems to be running very smoothly and as long as the club has plenty of volunteers with the right people doing the right jobs then it should all run smoothly.

I have to say the club has worked hard and done well on their Covid precautions. It can't be easy to manage match days but three games in I now know what's expected of me. As supporters we have an obligation to manage the risk as much as the club. Attendance numbers through the gate must be a pleasing reward for all the efforts.

Supporters do still have a voice and representation at board level through the Supporters Trust and I'm sure David and Rupe would be happy to take on board any concerns supporters had that they wished to speak to an independent body about.

I would like to say a massive thank you to Len Leroux for all his efforts over the last 10 plus years. He put an incredible amount of work in and some of the big games we have had in recent years went very smoothly because of his preparations and efforts on the day - thanks Len.
Also thank you to all the Supporters Club committee members since 2000.
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

Very nicely put Brian. A lot of people have put a lot of effort in over the years, and it's now taken us to a place where a culture of positivity, support and moving forward is starting to prevail.

If there are issues to resolve, I'm sure all true Hitchin fans are of the mind that we would want to do so - positively. We have so much to look forward to. Next year is 150 years since the first Hitchin team participated in the FA Cup and that in itself is something to look forward to. We truly value all of the fantastic support we have received in recent years and indeed all of the new support that is coming on board, and we just want the whole place to be somewhere that everyone loves being at and can't wait until the next visit.

We're all on the same side! If anyone is in doubt, first line approach can always be: clubadmin@hitchintownfc.club. I'll do my best to help.
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

A bit late................

HITCHIN TOWN FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS' CLUB
IN AID OF HITCHIN TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB

GRAND VARIETY CONCERT

New Town Hall, Hitchin
To-morrow, Wednesday, April 10th 1929, at 8 p.m.

Admission 6d, 1/-, 1/6, including tax.

A full programme of Star Artistes, including
THE HITCHIN LIGHT ORCHESTRA
Under L.G.Shrive, L.R.A.M., L.T.C.L.

Beds & Herts Pictorial Tuesday 9th April 1929
MJCANARY11
Silver Member
Silver Member

Callum Stead

Post by MJCANARY11 »

It’s been one of those weeks!
Gas boiler packed up then I ballsed up the Wi-Fi connection to the front door bell.
And then ………..
Today in the club news I read Callum has left the club.
To say I’m p@ssed off is an understatement 😢😢😢
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic