FURTHER SUSPENSION OF THE LEAGUE SEASON

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

ClubAdmin

FURTHER SUSPENSION OF THE LEAGUE SEASON

Post by ClubAdmin »

Statement issued by the Southern League a short while ago:

The Southern League Board has met following the latest Government review and they have unanimously agreed to continue with the pause of the 2020/21 season.

Since the initial survey on the 2nd December the infection rate has deteriorated in the geographical footprint of our Member Clubs, which has resulted in a larger number of Southern League Clubs being placed in Tier 3. In reaching this decision the Board considered several factors such as the lack of income from secondary spend revenue, the reduced attendances at Tier 3 clubs and more importantly, the duty of care the league has to Players, Club Officials, Volunteers and Supporters during this current pandemic.
The Board will continue to monitor the situation in line with the Government review dates and/or any decision that allows Government grants to become available to member clubs. The Board has not yet set a formal re-start date but this is unlikely to be before the 9th January 2021 and the Clubs will be given at least 10 days’ notice of the recommencement of the 2020/21 season allowing them preparation time to stage League matches.
It is also noted that the Isthmian League are taking a similar approach with their Member Clubs.

"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: FURTHER SUSPENSION OF THE LEAGUE SEASON

Post by Cat Daisy »

Welcome to Tier 4. However cynical one might be about the reasons for the double escalation in this region, my experience of matches so far suggests not everything is sweetness, light and safety.

David et al did sterling work to get the Covid plan in place and to ensure volunteers wore masks or visors. At the Alvechurch match, I saw one fan wearing a mask - hang on, that was me. As Neil did say at the time, the excitement of being back meant it was very easy and very enjoyable to chat with everyone after so long away but if you imagine there was social distancing or sticking to your bubble, you are kidding yourself. And from photos since, mask wearing and distancing don't seem to have caught on all that much.

As for other grounds, I have been there. You'd think a crowd of 100-200 could simply socially distance evenly around the perimeter of the ground. Not so - at grounds I have been at, 75% of the crowd have gathered nearest to the clubhouse so they could more easily access the booze, with no substantial meal required. (It means there is plenty of space everywhere else so that is where I take myself.) And again I doubt these were household groups and almost no-one was wearing a mask.

(I would suggest the pubs have been even more meticulous about Covid-proofing, and in the ones I have visited the customers have been more careful to follow guidance.)

As for restricted revenue vs no revenue, I guess it depends on what costs you must meet. Rent and maintenance are fixed, and well done to the Cow Commoners for waiving the rent. But even in non-league football isn't the biggest cost wages? If the season stopped, could you furlough any contract players? I don't know but it seems the conversation about "re-booting" football has died down since the spring. Perhaps that conversation needs re-booting given we aren't going to get any more football for months?
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

I can't claim to speak for Grant Biddle but restricted revenue for most non league clubs will mean not being able to meet the overheads, I imagine thats why most of them at our level voted against restarting.. I suppose its all irrelevant for the time being anyway with us being put into tier 4
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

Non-league would be just as well in closing down until the all-clear sounds - slash the overheads, let the players go and dispense with the stop-start situation.
And when it returns, let's have some realism about money, league structures and club ownership models.
Otherwise, the wreckage will be very significant.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Time to draw stumps for this season I think. This is not something that is going to go away quietly and with the current build-up I can only think the only sensible thing to do would be to write off the season and try again in July.

Peterborough for example have only played 6 league games. Impossible to get this season finished with a gap inbetween seasons way I see it.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

DarrenW wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:03 am Time to draw stumps for this season I think. This is not something that is going to go away quietly and with the current build-up I can only think the only sensible thing to do would be to write off the season and try again in July.

Peterborough for example have only played 6 league games. Impossible to get this season finished with a gap inbetween seasons way I see it.
Totally agree Darren - stick a fork in the season, it's done!

I don't see the point in trying to come up with a ham-fisted way to get some games played (which would probably lead to much dissatisfaction should there be promotion/relegation decided on a very seriously shortened season).

Scrapping this season would hopefully allow a return to a relatively normal start of next season assuming the Covid vaccine has successfully been rolled out throughout the country.
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

I agree Rupert, can’t see how it could possibly be completed and for me going through the summer playing is a crazy idea, ok if you have a artificial pitch but not with a natural grass one !
You can’t refurbish a grass pitch between October and March/ April as grass seed won’t germinate when ground temperatures are low!
Could Clubs survive from now until August/September with no income, that’s the question especially with no financial help from the FA or Government?
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Steve wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:39 pm
You can’t refurbish a grass pitch between October and March/ April as grass seed won’t germinate when ground temperatures are low!
Interesting point there. The Irish football season is February to October. While some probably have artificial pitches I cant believe they all have. Wonder how they get around it?
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Sand based or desso pitches as used in the premier league, that’s how, no divots and good drainage.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

They would be better off just trying to finish 2019-20 at this point and forgetting about 20-21
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic