Canaries Nickname

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Canaries Nickname

Post by anthony.brown »

The first match report I have found using the 'Canaries' as the Club's nickname is from the Spartan League match against the Met Police Reserves on Boxing Day 1928, a 1-1 draw.
I would guess the nickname was used from the beginning of that season when the new colours were introduced. Any earlier references found?

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Canaries Nickname

Post by Greenfinch »

I think you are a little bit out with the date Anthony, I make it around the early 1930's when a Greenfinch landed on the pitch just before kick off. It was found to be infected with a new type of virus, Covicanary and later injected with a new vaccine, which turned it yellow.I could be wrong.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

The Canaries nickname was first suggested in a meeting in the Angel Vaults pub when a group of people met to discuss starting the club up in 1928. The chairman wanted the club to have all-white as he was from Swansea and fancied having similar colours to his home town club. But somebody then piped up with yellow and blue and mentioned that he could envisage the club being known as the Canaries.
The press rarely referred to the club as the Canaries, though, it was more common for the club to be called "The town".
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Neil wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:13 pm The Canaries nickname was first suggested in a meeting in the Angel Vaults pub when a group of people met to discuss starting the club up in 1928. The chairman wanted the club to have all-white as he was from Swansea and fancied having similar colours to his home town club. But somebody then piped up with yellow and blue and mentioned that he could envisage the club being known as the Canaries.
The press rarely referred to the club as the Canaries, though, it was more common for the club to be called "The town".
Thank you, Neil. In the match reports after the Boxing Day match I mentioned, the 'Canaries' nickname appears more often than not. 2028 would be a good time to go to the modern day Angel Vaults for a centenary celebration of the name, perhaps?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic