The Day I Was Taught How To Lose

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Day I Was Taught How To Lose

Post by Greenfinch »

Back in the Eighties when I first sponsored Hitchin Town, the great late Cyril Buck invited me to be his guest at the forthcoming FA Cup match away to Fisher Athletic.Being a vociferous fan on the terraces,I new it would be difficult for me to sit in the Directors box and behave myself so to speak.Nevertheless, I was honoured to be asked and of course I accepted and looked forward to the day.Two weeks later Dressed in my new blazer and my Hitchin Town Tie proudly sticking out of my chest, I boarded the coach, to be greeted by Cyril and the rest of the Officials, all looking immaculate along with the players.Cyril placed a yellow and black sign in the front window with Hitchin Town FC emblazoned on it,that just raised my heartbeat even more,I thought 'Come on boys lets do this' as the coach pulled out of Top Field.
Travelling through London,we eventually arrived at the Dockside Club,I can't recall anything before kick-off, only the match itself, where to be honest we were just kicked to death and lost 2-0.'What do we do now?' I politely asked Cyril. 'We go to the Board Room for sandwiches and drinks and meet their officials' my reply was; ' I'm afraid the way they played against us I can't do that' Replying, with his arm round my shoulder,'You're my guest Peter, follow me, do exactly what I do, and I will teach you how to lose' with that I followed Cyril up these long concrete steps with no handrails leading to the Boardroom door.Cyril advised me that the President will open the door, Cyril will then shake his hand and say 'very well played' and I will follow and do the same, which I did. We didn't win the match that day,but we left their officials with a lasting memory of a club that won their hearts.

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: The Day I Was Taught How To Lose

Post by Brian »

Dad (JohnTG) worked with Cyril Buck at ICL in Letchworth.

A wonderful man. An air of authority but also very down to earth. I have memories of him handing me Christmas presents at the ICL Kids Christmas Parties in the 70's.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 pm Out of curiosity how were you taught to prepare when we won? 🍺🍺🍺 :mrgreen:
We're still waiting to find out :lol:
Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Geoff »

RST wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:43 pm
Jacqueline Mary wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 pm Out of curiosity how were you taught to prepare when we won? 🍺🍺🍺 :mrgreen:
We're still waiting to find out :lol:
We do win a few games (laugh out loud even louder) :roll:
"Confusion will be my epitaph"
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

A great piece Pete.

I can only translate this to these days. The question about winning is a very interesting one. Sometimes it's harder to be comfortable when you've won than when you've lost. Easier if the opposition are let's say, not so gracious about the defeat. Doesn't happen often, but when it does it's easier to say: "Hey that's football". Or you get left to the volunteers left to provide the hospitality with a distinct absence of Club Officials!

Toughest one of the lot was Merthyr when we won the penalty shoot-out in the play-offs. If they'd been bitter and angry it would have been easier, but they were so gracious, welcoming and wish us a safe journey home and very best wishes in the final. They truly were a credit to their Club and that's the one that sticks with me most.
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic