Clapton FC Here We Come, ....But No Reverse Gear

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Clapton FC Here We Come, ....But No Reverse Gear

Post by Greenfinch »

I started my apprenticeship at H A Saunders in Queen Street,( the main Austin/Morris dealership) in 1966, after a couple of years I became friends with the service controller, his name was Dave Hughs and soon realised we had the same passion for Hitchin Town, and we started to attend watching the away matches on a regular basis.Leaving work at 5-30pm no time to eat, with a 7-30pm kick off, no Sat Nav in those days, no map but a good idea where we were heading,in this case Clapton FC for a league match. Tearing down the A1M with Hitchin Town scarfs flying proudly out of both rear windows.Dave couldn't use his usual car,but managed to borrow a used sales car with permission from the company,and promptly told me as we travelling along that it had no reverse gear,and I remember replying that, Its too heavy for me to push it backwards, especially in the East of London,but the match was more important,and we eventually saw the Clapton FC floodlights in the distance. Unfortunately, we took a wrong turn and ended up driving along a never ending up market road,we had to turn round.Dave spotted a million pound home with a long drive and a roundabout in front of the house.He suggested that we drive up there and spin round using their roundabout,I said, Dave we could get done doing that, his reply was "No we won't, if we get stopped I will make out that I own the place"but we managed to turn round without any trouble.Arriving at the ground on time.I hope you all like my stories, its just a case of keeping the forum ticking over whilst we wait for the football to start again.

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Clapton FC Here We Come, ....But No Reverse Gear

Post by russell »

I for one love these stories - please keep them coming
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic