Ate Too Much Tongue Pie Boy

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ate Too Much Tongue Pie Boy

Post by Greenfinch »

Forty odd years ago Hitchin Town were drawn away to Needham Market in a cup competition (possibly the FA Trophy) or a replay but it was on a Tuesday night.Anyway, I decided to travel down on my new BSA C-15 motor bike,I loved that bike Chrome and Black, and with a yellow silk scarf flying from my neck, I felt good as I travelled along.
The match itself I can't remember a thing,except the story about to follow. Half way through the first half a bad tackle on a Hitchin player( McGonacle rings a bell) and was stretched off with a suspect broken leg.I couldn't help but let loose a tirade of abuse,then realised I was the only Hitchin fan in the main stand, and the locals weren't happy,with one of them saying; "Looks like you've ate too much tongue pie boy" with the local accent I didn't quite understand what he meant.But soon found out when I overheard a conversation in the toilets that they were 'Going to get the Londoner' after the match, thought it can't be me they are talking about as I'm from Hitchin, but obviously my accent to them seemed similar, and sounded good enough for them to 'sort me out' so to speak.However,with twenty minutes of the match remaining, I pretended to got to the toilets, and previously spotted a side door, which I 'escaped ' through,and quickly got on my trusted stead,never to be seen again.

ClubAdmin

Re: Ate Too Much Tongue Pie Boy

Post by ClubAdmin »

Loving these anecdotes Pete - it really is what being a Non-League supporter is all about.
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic