The Day I fell off My Perch

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Day I fell off My Perch

Post by Greenfinch »

It was the final day of the season,and to win the Div 1 Championship we had to beat mid-table Uxbridge at home to be sure,otherwise Moseley could snatch it from us, and I think if we lost we could have come Third.Whatever the situation, I decided to dress up in a Canary suit, thinking surely we just cannot lose to Uxbridge. Walking to the match from Westmill was fun, but at times I was thinking, 'What the hell have I done' nevertheless it just had to be done.I went to the Canary Club at first at around 1-30pm and the fans were fantastic, and it gave me a lot of confidence,as I was determined to run on the pitch at full time.My first mistake was drinking two pints of Lager, instead of feeling like a Canary, I felt like a stuffed Parrot,but managed to get to the main stand intact.At half time,I made my second mistake, another pint of Lager, but was feeling really happy until disaster struck,we went a goal down, 'Oh no, Hitchin Town don't do this to me especially today' I chirped.Uxbridge in their Red shirts were playing as if they were fighting for the Championship, and seemed determined to spoil the party. Then Gary Williams equalised with a side foot tap in, and then headed the winner six minutes from time. I sat on the perimeter fence waiting to launch myself onto the pitch,it seemed,would the Ref ever blow the final whistle, he eventually blew and I ......... to be continued

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: The Day I fell off My Perch

Post by RST »

What a glorious day and forever grateful for the Uxbridge keeper unwisely coming right out to the edge of his box, but being beaten to the ball by Willow's header. Cue Robbie Wainwright sprinting on to the pitch from the bench and leaping into Willow's arms!!!

Promotion was guaranteed 4 matches earlier with a win at Abingdon where we all stood around the press box after the final whistle while Barry Swain telephoned to find out the result of Molesey's game. He raised his arms and we knew we were up!

:bounce:
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

What season was this may I ask?
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

1992/93 if memory serves me correctly but I’m sure someone will confirm.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

You are correct Mr. B. :thumbsup:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic