Tribute To Matthew.

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Tribute To Matthew.

Post by russell »

Tragic news. I can't claim to know him very well but I always really enjoyed chatting to him home and away games. I'm very sad and I can only imagine how others feel who were closer to him. My thoughts are with you.

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch »

Really sad news, Mathew was always smiling and happy to chat before a match. Hitchin Town fans are part of my extended family, and now all too soon another great character has gone, thinking of you Maric and your family.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Absolutely gobsmacked when I read the website.

Matthew was one of the nicest, friendliest and warmest people I knew. He always had time to chat, have a joke and put the world to rights.
He will be sorely missed at Top Field.

My condolences to Marek and the family.

RIP Matthew
MickD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MickD »

Another stalwart leaves us so unexpectedly - not much one can say other than to reiterate how much of a loss Matt will be to the Club as well as everyone who knew him.
Whilst my memory these days is pretty sketchy to say the least, my first contact with Matt and Marek must have been back in the late 60s playing kick about football over on King Georges/St Michaels playing fields? A motley crew assembled most evenings to play until dusk had turned to dark. Odd how your eyes grew so accustomed to the light that it never bothered you. It was only when you got home that you realised that the last half hour play had been completed in pitch-black. Also, why did every game get extended by ten minutes upon the cry of "Next goal’s the winner", then “Best of Three”?
Other participants may have included Pete Kelly (another St Mick's pupil), a couple of Seymours, Murph, my brother naturally, the Hunnisett twins (?) - of Oughtonhead Road chip show fame and numerous others from school. Sadly Matt is not the only one from this list who is no longer with us.
I see that twitter carried a picture from that memorable day back in December 2014 when the valiant Canaries in Crisis team were summarily dismissed by an Eggheads team. We wasn’t robbed.
As twelfth man, Matt provided much, largely ignored, revision before the TV cameras rolled, whilst spreading his own unique brand of chaos and confusion, nurtured in Planet Matt. A great day out, despite the unsuccessful outcome, co-ordinated magnificently by Bryan Garwood. Flight up from Luton, day in Glasgow, evening in the pub, overnight hotel and flight home first thing in time for Save Top Field March.
The man beneath that signature hat will be sorely missed.
Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Geoff »

A few photo memories...
Attachments
P9260029a.jpg
IMG_20200204_213324485.jpg
DSCF5324.JPG
DSCF4594.JPG
"Confusion will be my epitaph"
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

What a memorably bad evening that was at Berkhamsted!

We definitely had more fun at the seaside on the way to Leiston (although I'm not sure which direction we chose of the three). Happy days.
IMG-20190126-WA0000.jpg
Photo Credit - Steve Barker
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Just one to add the equaliser vs Leatherhead. Matt being his usual self. The club will miss guys like him. Watch the zoom in.

Sky Blue Canary
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sky Blue Canary »

Attachments
MM.jpg
KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH »

I've not been on here for quite a while, hence my late post. Really shocked & saddened by this news. I only knew Matthew from match days but what a lovely bloke, great dry sense of humour & never angry despite some of the games we've had to endure. My lasting memory of Matthew will be of him peering out from under which ever hat he was wearing at the time, the beach photo above a prime example.

If there are any words of comfort for Marek & family it's that he left this world doing something he really enjoyed. RIP Matthew.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic