Time for change?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

GoogleUser

Time for change?

Post by GoogleUser »

1point from 18. 4 goals scored 15 against. Still want to trust the process? Must be time for a change of management? Just not good enough.

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Time for change?

Post by russell »

Always interesting to hear from someone who has the wherewithal to use Google
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

GoogleUser wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:35 pm 1point from 18. 4 goals scored 15 against. Still want to trust the process? Must be time for a change of management? Just not good enough.
Agree with Russell please dont hide behind a name which I believe it against forum rules.

I cant comment on the game as couldn't make it although how diabolical is it that South Shields scouted Callum and signed him only to release him a couple of weeks later. Extremely harsh on the lad all be it glad to see him back.
GoogleUser

Post by GoogleUser »

Firstly I couldn’t give a monkeys about posting anonymously. The option to post using social media platforms is there on the site, so perhaps admin should look at that. Rant over.
Secondly, this season mirrors most of the last few seasons, struggle then hit a bit of form and finish mid table or just avoiding relegation. I was stating that I think the manager has taken us as far as he can go. Results have proved that. Al I am saying is 1 point from 18 is simply not good enough and with another potentially tough game at the weekend I really can’t see where the next 3 points is coming from. If your happy with mediocre then fine. I want to see the club showing they do have ambition and be challenging for league titles, cups etc. So sorry if my posts upset you because they are anonymous but that is just the way it is.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

Unless Hitchin find a way of paying higher wages to attract 'better' players, they are not ever going to be challenging for the title in their present league. The club is what it is - where a top 10 finish in the league equals a good season.
Piltdown
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Piltdown »

Googleuser , you beat me to it, who cares about a name , your question was very valid and your latest post is something I agree with , he has, imo lost interest and has taken it as far as it can go , even if we were lucky to stay up this year , the whole situation will start again next season
Most people have a shelf life , I think the current manager has come to the end of his
Brian Parker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian Parker »

The club is better supported than many others in this league. It has what used to be a Supporters' Trust that apparently was the envy of many others. Whether it still is I don't know, as despite all this to me this is the weakest team that HTFC has fielded for a long time and I don't think the money is there to bring in anyone of consequence. I suspect that Mark was appointed because of his love for the club rather than the remuneration and replacing him could prove expensive.

But I am still left wondering why it is that we seem unable to compete with teams that lack the support that we have. I know some have "sugar daddies" who throw money at them, but surely not all clubs are so "lucky".

I know that some of this is conjecture and I would love to be shown to be too pessimistic.
Piltdown
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Piltdown »

Brian, i agree we are one of the better supported team and yes it is the weakest team for along time.
like you i do not know about what money is available .
how i see it is, if you take out say the top 5 teams i do not think the other teams have a budget any different to ours.
could it be as simple as the manager has taken it as far as he can ?
As you say the team is the weakest for some time, the manager recruited them, no one else
i do not know the guy personally and other than being a great player for the club and having a few decent seasons as manager i do wonder if fans are staying loyal because of it.
A sad fact but sometimes managers just lose sight of what is wanted and just lose interest, is this the case here, what i do know is that with our current record any other manager would be out the door
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

I don’t often chime in on discussions like this, but here I go.
Managers have a creative shelf life and it’s generally around five-seven years at best. Certainly at one club, it’s less than five. There are exceptions, such as Ferguson, but generally, they reach a point where they are no longer as effective. Even the likes of Mourinho face that reality.
Historically, Hitchin Town do not give a manager the luxury of eight years, which Burkey has been given. The situation is very different, though, as Burkey is as tied up in the club as Andy, Terry and Roy. Therefore, the question of should he stay or should he go is almost null and void.
However, he would be a fool not to listen to the noise, and also realise it’s not personal but, as the Godfather says, business. The reason people are torn and split is because it is Burkey in the hot seat... the fans have always liked him and his record at the club deserves respect. Nobody has really put too much pressure on him and largely, the fans have been very tolerant. It’s true that the club should be satisfied with step 3, frankly they couldn’t survive higher, but equally, ambition is not overspending and should never be. Similarly, there is no way Burkey has lost interest, but the current bench regime may have run out of ideas and player sources. I’ve seen seven games this season and the team looks very challenged to survive. It could be fresh impetus is needed and at some point, the club will need to decide whether it should persevere or make significant changes. One thing is sure, nobody will feel less happy than Burkey, but the cycle of the past 30 odd years suggests relegation is due, but equally does not spell disaster.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Superb performance tonight. Tactics spot on, attitude of every player excellent
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic