Biggleswade Today

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Biggleswade Today

Post by anthony.brown »

The history of the first Hitchin FC as shown in today's Biggleswade programme (and probably in the programmes of all of the teams we visit) is slightly wrong.
1.The first Hitchin FC was formed in 1865.

I'll accept that.

2. The club took part in the first FA Cup in 1871-72, and reached the quarter finals of the competition, losing to eventual finalists Royal Engineers.

With just 15 teams entering, and Hitchin being allowed through to the 'second ties' after a goalless draw with Crystal Palace, this round could hardly be called a quarter final as ten teams were still in the competition at this point. I prefer 'second ties' or 'second round'.

3. That first Hitchin Club, a struggling professional outfit, folded in 1911, debt ridden and the victims of a fire at their ground.

The 'struggling professional outfit' folded in 1908, having introduced some professionalism in 1898.
Revived as an amateur club in 1909, playing in the Spartan League, they again folded after just two seasons in 1911.
Debt-ridden, certainly. I've found no reports of a fire at the ground, but lots of regular vandalism is noted in a club AGM of the time.