Club Colours

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Club Colours

Post by KEITH »

A brief note on the home kit, between the amber/black & yellow/green we had a few seasons where it was yellow/blue (Alan West days if I remember correctly). The yellow shirts & royal blue shorts looked fine but the season when the shorts were a very pale, satin sheen, blue was horrendous.
Turning to the away kit I've always felt that an intimidating colour was what was needed to put the home team & supporters on the back foot before a ball had been kicked. Sadly over the years we failed miserably, notably the all pale blue one & other insipid kits, all white not too much better. Even Coventry City added navy blue in 1987 to win the FA Cup. The black & white striped shirt with yellow trim & black shorts was decent but I always thought red was best to put the wind up the opposition (we may have had one once, can't remember). But for the Plymouth Argyle fans 'green army' chant, adopted by us successfully, all green would fall into the 'so so' category, but I do like it. I love the current one, whatever the colour actually is, but magenta army or come on you magenta's just doesn't work 🤔😁. Something to ponder on for next season. Have a great Boxing Day everyone & a Happy New Year.

Pessimists are never disappointed.
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

Canadian wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:39 pm Surprised it took you so long to respond Chris. I would like to make several points but I concur that it is best to let it go. Merry Christmas! May our differences continue on many subjects to come. Regards.
Thanks Clive.....seem to be a busier man these days with less time to look at the Forum. Hope you had a good one, and should we agree on something in the future, then something's clearly amiss..... :lol: :lol:

Keith makes a very good point - green army is a powerful statement away from home . Come on you purples somehow just doesn't carry the same clout......
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

KEITH wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:38 am The yellow shirts & royal blue shorts looked fine but the season when the shorts were a very pale, satin sheen, blue was horrendous.
Totally agree, on both counts!
pudgy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by pudgy »

Had a vague feeling Canadian, that back in the very early Sixties, when Dennis Randall was soaring the skies of Topfield, our colors were described as black and gold, but after scratching around in my loft for a 3d programme of that era, it does appear our shirts were described as yellow. I think the Wolves side of that era, Billy Wright etc., played in kit described as black and gold. Perhaps, to you and I, the black and yellow shirts seem more imposing because of the players that wore them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic