The last 10 years

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The last 10 years

Post by DarrenW »

Just thinking over the last 10 years and when we got promoted back to the Premier div (Ok just over 10 years)

Excluding play-off games what's everyone's fav match from the last 10 years? I can think there are a few candidates.

ClubAdmin

Re: The last 10 years

Post by ClubAdmin »

The Leatherhead replay in the FA Cup takes some beating.
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Away at Merthyr for the play off semi final.

Runner up - Away at Leatherhead in the FA Cup replay

:clap:
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

Read the rules RST :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leatherhead's your winner then :thumbsup:
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Fair enough. So the rules must mean that Merthyr would otherwise have been a runaway winner! :mrgreen:
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

ClubAdmin wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:13 pm The Leatherhead replay in the FA Cup takes some beating.
Your probably right Chris was hoping some other games would come up.

Im struggling with the league games to pick a favorite if im honest.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

I've said it before on here but the big one for me was Leamington away (2-1 win) in December 2016. I had been taking Rowan to the odd home game since moving to Hitchin at the turn of the decade, but never really got the bug until this game. Photo attached. Not the best game possibly but a personal favourite.
Attachments
20161203_160325.jpg
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

russell wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:49 pm I've said it before on here but the big one for me was Leamington away (2-1 win) in December 2016. I had been taking Rowan to the odd home game since moving to Hitchin at the turn of the decade, but never really got the bug until this game. Photo attached. Not the best game possibly but a personal favourite.
Good shout there Russell have my own reasons for liking that game. Traveled up with the Dellars and have remained friends since.

Also the game (It was in December) I felt we was contenders and not often ive been able to say that...... Not forgetting I had a hand in getting Digger sent off through a stupid refereeing decision to book him for giving me a high five after scoring. I still dont get that decision to this day.

Should have beaten them in the play off final but think most accept that was probably a blessing in disguise. Would have been a tough ask to meet the financial demands of being promoted thinking we'd have been put in the Conf North.
Canadian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Canadian »

HI Darren! You seem to be perpetuating the myth (or fact) prevalent on the forum that the club is somehow poorer than rival clubs in our league. We have higher attendances and operate in a larger market than many of our contemporaries. It seems to suggest that promotion is a bad idea. I believe with dynamic ownership and a completely different approach to budgeting we could do well one step up. Time for a change? I know where I would like to see the change take place. As for the past ten seasons we had two decent years and the rest is mediocrity. However I do not dismiss the social aspect of attending games and I would probably still be going to Top Field regularly if I were a local.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

The trip to Bedford in 2013 to watch John Frendo's swan song for me just beats the Poole demo day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic