Redditch match off

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Redditch match off

Post by Steve »

Saturday’s match at home to Redditch has been postponed due to Covid in their camp!

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Redditch match off

Post by russell »

Can anyone explain the current criteria for being able to call a game off? I remember Middlesbrough calling a game off at Blackburn a few years and being docked points.. Now it seems you can do it at the drop of a hat.
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

russell wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:17 pm Can anyone explain the current criteria for being able to call a game off? I remember Middlesbrough calling a game off at Blackburn a few years and being docked points.. Now it seems you can do it at the drop of a hat.
There was a long article in Non League Paper about the process. It may still be online.
TBF The game would probably have been called off for a waterlogged pitch, wouldn't it!

I thought political comments (small "p") weren't allowed?
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

I'm not having a go at Redditch necessarily but Peterborough Sports (and various professional clubs) cited injuries as part of the reason for getting a game called off.. I just can't see how this is in keeping with the integrity of the game. If you can raise a team of 11 from academy / youth etc then it's got to go ahead I think otherwise its totally open to abuse. I know we called off the Tamworth game off as the players couldn't get there and if the league had awarded the points to Tamworth I don't think anyone at Hitchin would be too devastated.. as it happens we ultimately got a point which is obviously nice!
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Colin, our pitch would have been 100% playable and I went up at 3pm to check for that reason, no issues whatsoever except it was miserable and cold there.
The money spent on the new drainage installed in May last year has paid dividends and I don’t expect the problems we once had to cause games to be postponed apart from heavy frost ( frozen pitch) or snow.
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

Steve wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:57 pm Colin, our pitch would have been 100% playable and I went up at 3pm to check for that reason, no issues whatsoever except it was miserable and cold there.
The money spent on the new drainage installed in May last year has paid dividends and I don’t expect the problems we once had to cause games to be postponed apart from heavy frost ( frozen pitch) or snow.
Steve, very frustrating yesterday - but as you say, money well spent at a time when so many grounds are still susceptible to waterlogging.

Russell, the article I was thinking of was here https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... -a-finish/.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Thanks Colin .. interesting read
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic