A Question For the Admin?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: A Question For the Admin?

Post by anthony.brown »

I've added lots to existing history threads on the forum (and do so whenever I can) so there's lots going on under the surface. Navel-gazing has never been my bag, so I'll not comment on this topic.

MACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MACK »

You have posted some fantastic threads over the last few years, Jackie. Should have posted a few more myself- I freely admit. It's a pity that, from time to time, you have reacted to others that have posted on the forum. Any slightly negative word in written for has a potentially really damaging impact on the reader. And I do not mean this in a damaging way to you, Jackie and I'll apologise in advance if you take it that way.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

I always check the forum so I'd be sad if it got hijacked for whatever reason. Anthony, Greenfinch, Mick have all posted some fascinating stuff - apologies to leave anyone out - about the social history of the club which I always find fascinating.

@jackie I've said before I admire you sticking your neck out on issues and not being afraid of a skirmish, but sometimes it feels to me like you are shoehorning other issues in that wouldn’t otherwise be relevant? The Mecca bingo example being one that I think caused no small amount of confusion in various quarters.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

As has been stated here before, on-line forums are losing out big time to social media (much as I prefer a forum), so it's not surprising there's sadly not so much on here these days, but as Russell points out, there are still some fascinating things being posted, albeit not generally related to the current team situation.

If you would like the freedom to be able to suggest we storm Top Field with flaming torches and pitchforks to remove the players and managers, why shouldn't someone else be allowed to disagree - ideally politely, but not everyone can manage that. It's not, to my recollection, members of the management committee jumping on your posts, it's other people who disagree with you, don't they have that freedom?

I'm genuinely interested to know how many supporters are telling you privately that they won't post here for fear of being jumped on Jackie - don't need any names, but are we talking 5, 10, 15, more? there's safety in numbers if there are lots of them posting together.

Maybe people aren't posting at the moment because the team has been moving in the right direction and demanding the players and manager should go might seem a bit rash at this stage. Hang on, stat coming....

First 13 games this season 7 points and yes, Mark said he thought seriously about resigning.
Next 12 games 16 point. Is this really the time to consider sacking the manager and players?

The demographic of our support appears to me to be changing recently. There are a considerable number of younger supporters coming to games, who are almost certainly on social media, not forums, but they also seem to be enjoying the new Top Field experience and maybe a lot of them are enjoying sharing the experience with their friends and kids and aren't (yet) so passionately concerned about whether we are striving for 18th place, just enjoying a good day out.

Maybe that's what a community club is all about, people coming together for a shared enjoyable experience that doesn't have to rely on success all the time to make it a pleasurable experience.

Our average attendance, despite being in the relegation zone all season is only 30 fewer than the year we reached the play off final, so that doesn't suggest a mood of total doom and gloom and let's sack anybody that moves amongst the fans - that doesn't mean some don't want change obviously.

Our finishing positions since 2012/13 are 13th, 13th, 9th, 3rd, 4th, 11th and 18th. Even a sad statto like me can't make that average out to a Groundhog Day of 18th unless you just average out the last fully completed season.

Maybe regularly sacking the manager would prove successful if we use the Chelsea model, but let's hope we don't get the Watford model.

Hopping for a win and three points tomorrow, but will check Amazon for the price of flaming torches and pitchforks in case we don't.
Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Geoff »

Thought I'd risk a post.
Well said RST :goodposting: (whoever you might be :-) ).
Heading back to my bunker now. :wave:
"Confusion will be my epitaph"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic