Interview With Grant Biddle Chairman Of Peterborough Sports Saturday 12th March.

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Interview With Grant Biddle Chairman Of Peterborough Sports Saturday 12th March.

Post by DarrenW »

CanaryHatter wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:26 am Absolutely spot on chris.

Each to their own of course, but I personally see nothing to admire in their achievements. I don’t doubt they may even reach step two at some point (if their ground grading past - never been there so don’t really know). But I’d imagine that’s about their limit and we’ll see them on the way back down.
I would think there is limited land to expand as know the ground is tucked away behind houses on the Lincoln Road.

Last time I visited I could seen plenty of work to do on the ground side but thing I find odd is no way would that ground be considered for the Conference during the 90's now i'd think it's possible with some minor improvements.

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Interview With Grant Biddle Chairman Of Peterborough Sports Saturday 12th March.

Post by RST »

The sad fact is that very few people seem interested in the club given they have the fourth lowest average attendance in the division with just 248.

I know that many clubs would look down on our attendances, but at least we are able to attract bigger crowds when we are doing well and amazingly we are attracting decent crowds at this level despite our struggles this season.

I guess having no great support hasn't stopped Boreham Wood reaching the brink of League 2 football, but they are clearly doing things well off the pitch including having the Arsenal Ladies playing there.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

RST wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:24 pm The sad fact is that very few people seem interested in the club given they have the fourth lowest average attendance in the division with just 248.

I know that many clubs would look down on our attendances, but at least we are able to attract bigger crowds when we are doing well and amazingly we are attracting decent crowds at this level despite our struggles this season.

I guess having no great support hasn't stopped Boreham Wood reaching the brink of League 2 football, but they are clearly doing things well off the pitch including having the Arsenal Ladies playing there.
You made a very valid point there Rupert...........Look at the teams that have fallen through the FL and are now in the Conference/National League. They all have a strong fan base. Grimsby Wrexham Chesterfield Halifax and Southend etc

Now take clubs coming up like as you mention Borehamwood. I believe every club has a fanbase based on there traditional level. No Sugar daddy can compete with that.

The couple of exceptions I can see right now is Sutton United and Salford. Not forgetting Forest Green.
Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller »

I was devastated we lost the play offs, we had a great team and we were ready to go up. We were just unlucky on that day.

Am I jealous of other clubs? No I am not, when I see other supporters coming through our turnstiles, swearing and abusing myself and other volunteers. I am proud that we have a group of supporters that are beacon for the club at home and travelling away. Always positive and full of happy banter. I am also proud the Groundhoppers take time out of their day to send e mails or tweet about our club and what a great visit they had. I am proud that every man, woman and child can come to Top Field and not feel threatened.

We have a great club and I don't know a single supporter who wouldn't wish for the Club to win each game and get promoted. Come on you Canaries let fight to stay up and next year really start the season running. :happy2: :happy2:
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

If we had won the play off final, that team wouldn’t have broken up and Kane Smith would have stayed because he wanted to play at a higher level so I believe we would have done well with a couple of additions!
Water under the bridge now.
Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

Kate Deller wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:16 am We have a great club and I don't know a single supporter who wouldn't wish for the Club to win each game and get promoted. Come on you Canaries let fight to stay up and next year really start the season running. :happy2: :happy2:
:iagree: :winner:
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

If you prefer the ownership model, owners, management, coaches, captain, players, and now fans of every other team in the league Jackie then I can see why you're finding the experience of attending so challenging
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

According to an article from Banbury's website regarding their ownership by supporters:

The Club’s objectives are to benefit the community by:

enhancing the social, cultural and economic value of the Club to its Communities and by acting as a responsible custodian of the club for future generations;
upholding the mutual ownership of the Club operating democratically, fairly and transparently;
ensuring the Club operates with financial responsibility enabling the Club to be run for the long term interest of the Community;
providing sporting facilities and opportunities regardless of age, income, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexuality, religious or moral belief; and
playing at the highest level possible, but always operating in a financially responsible and prudent manner.

It strikes me that Hitchin is currently being run with some very similar objectives with the last of those five being particularly pertinent.
Jacqueline Mary wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:35 pm But let’s be under no illusion. The current owner. the current management and indeed many of the supporters want to maintain the status quo. Mid table mediocrity at the end of every season is the goal and they’re having to work quite hard to even reach those dizzy heights right now. It’s always going to be Groundhog Day with the current set up as it is right now.
Jackie, I value the fact that supporters can come on this forum and give their views even if I disagree, such as the paragraph above, but it would be great to hear on what basis you believe that the owner, management and many supporters want mid-table mediocrity and if Andy, Mark, Adam, Josh or Michael admit that's been the plan over the last few years I'll gladly admit I was wrong in believing they were trying their hardest to push the club forward.
Jacqueline Mary wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:36 am So you were eager to update the relegation stats while we were winning but you’re not so eager while we’re continually losing.

The manager must be in dream land right now. No matter how many games we lose, the only thing that matters is the club getting right behind a manager who from his game management this season is clearly not bothered about dragging this club down to Central Division and if we do miraculously escape the drop it’s still been a dreadful season on the pitch.
It's the postings such as the above that understandably wind people up, easy to write, but not exactly accurate. Forgive me for resorting to a stat, but after what everyone would agree was a terrible start to the season, over the last 20 games, in effect half a season, Hitchin have W7, D6, L7, GD+8 Pts 27. This may fall into your other favourite of "mid-table mediocrity", but it demonstrates the effort shown by all concerned to become competitive in all games to try and maintain our Premier division status. Surely it would have been easier and more cost-effective to gracefully give up and be relegated as you suggest?

As I've said before on here, over more than 40 years of supporting this club I have seen many seasons with far less to be optimistic about than this season and to sweepingly say this has been a dreadful season on the pitch is nonsense as far as I'm concerned when you've seen some of the rubbish ones I've seen.

As Kate, Chris N. and others have said, the feeling at the club with the greatly improved facilities, a large number of willing volunteers, amazing attendances with many new supporters is as good as I can remember. I have no doubt that very few Hitchin supporters come to the ground wanting anything other than a win and to see the team going as high as they can. Some may be more desperate than others and quite a few probably aren't that fussed which division we are in as long as they can meet their friends at the ground and take their kids for a safe, inclusive, friendly afternoon out. Not that far from the aims of Banbury.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

RST wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:31 pm According to an article from Banbury's website regarding their ownership by supporters:

The Club’s objectives are to benefit the community by:

enhancing the social, cultural and economic value of the Club to its Communities and by acting as a responsible custodian of the club for future generations;
upholding the mutual ownership of the Club operating democratically, fairly and transparently;
ensuring the Club operates with financial responsibility enabling the Club to be run for the long term interest of the Community;
providing sporting facilities and opportunities regardless of age, income, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexuality, religious or moral belief; and
playing at the highest level possible, but always operating in a financially responsible and prudent manner.

It strikes me that Hitchin is currently being run with some very similar objectives with the last of those five being particularly pertinent.
Jacqueline Mary wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:35 pm But let’s be under no illusion. The current owner. the current management and indeed many of the supporters want to maintain the status quo. Mid table mediocrity at the end of every season is the goal and they’re having to work quite hard to even reach those dizzy heights right now. It’s always going to be Groundhog Day with the current set up as it is right now.
Jackie, I value the fact that supporters can come on this forum and give their views even if I disagree, such as the paragraph above, but it would be great to hear on what basis you believe that the owner, management and many supporters want mid-table mediocrity and if Andy, Mark, Adam, Josh or Michael admit that's been the plan over the last few years I'll gladly admit I was wrong in believing they were trying their hardest to push the club forward.
Jacqueline Mary wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:36 am So you were eager to update the relegation stats while we were winning but you’re not so eager while we’re continually losing.

The manager must be in dream land right now. No matter how many games we lose, the only thing that matters is the club getting right behind a manager who from his game management this season is clearly not bothered about dragging this club down to Central Division and if we do miraculously escape the drop it’s still been a dreadful season on the pitch.
It's the postings such as the above that understandably wind people up, easy to write, but not exactly accurate. Forgive me for resorting to a stat, but after what everyone would agree was a terrible start to the season, over the last 20 games, in effect half a season, Hitchin have W7, D6, L7, GD+8 Pts 27. This may fall into your other favourite of "mid-table mediocrity", but it demonstrates the effort shown by all concerned to become competitive in all games to try and maintain our Premier division status. Surely it would have been easier and more cost-effective to gracefully give up and be relegated as you suggest?

As I've said before on here, over more than 40 years of supporting this club I have seen many seasons with far less to be optimistic about than this season and to sweepingly say this has been a dreadful season on the pitch is nonsense as far as I'm concerned when you've seen some of the rubbish ones I've seen.

As Kate, Chris N. and others have said, the feeling at the club with the greatly improved facilities, a large number of willing volunteers, amazing attendances with many new supporters is as good as I can remember. I have no doubt that very few Hitchin supporters come to the ground wanting anything other than a win and to see the team going as high as they can. Some may be more desperate than others and quite a few probably aren't that fussed which division we are in as long as they can meet their friends at the ground and take their kids for a safe, inclusive, friendly afternoon out. Not that far from the aims of Banbury.
Good posting. I think those that remember the 08/09 season I think it was? will remember this side is clearly much more stable than the squad which seemed to change every week with players coming and going. That was demoralizing for a supporter let alone getting results on the pitch.....The current set up is much improved with players wanting to stick around for the fight.

In my 29 years I have visited many clubs no-longer with us or have become phoenix clubs by throwing money above their means. I for one am glad Hitchin have never had this policy and have remained fairly stable balancing the books the best way possible.

Unless you can find someone who is prepared to invest blind I would say the last 10 years has been excellent on limited means and that is largely down to Burkey and his recruitment.
Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:35 pm
Kate Deller wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:16 am

I have to say I am quite stunned at your comments regarding supporters from other clubs coming through the turnstiles “swearing and abusing” yourself and “other volunteers” and I’m deeply sorry that you and others have been on the receiving end of this.

I’m stunned because in the 10 seasons I have been coming to Top Field I can honestly say hand on heart I have not had that same experience. For me personally, the best part about non-league is integrating with away supporters. Now, I’m not saying what you’re saying doesn’t happen at all. I’ve no doubt it does. But for balance regarding your comments here, let me give you a recent positive example.

I was early for the game against Sports two weeks ago and two supporters who I had never met before Kevin and Kayleigh were also early and I couldn’t help overhearing then chatting. “This is a lovely ground. Real old school” Kevin was saying and more. So I politely interrupted them and said how nice it was that they said such nice things. That’s when we learned each other’s names and we took photos and just had a really great chat throughout the rest of the afternoon. I could give countless other examples of hundreds of similar respectful polite away fans who have come through our turnstiles over the years. So I think it’s important to provide balance here, but once again I’m sorry that you and other volunteers have had to experience abuse. It goes without saying that abuse of any kind is nasty and unacceptable.

Hi Jacqueline,

No balance needed at all by you! I gave a positive example in my comments. I could give so many examples of wonderful supporters, great fun and lovely comments received. But, not everyone is that way and it does happen and when it does, as with all supporters, I smile politely. :big_grin:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic