Interview With Grant Biddle Chairman Of Peterborough Sports Saturday 12th March.

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Interview With Grant Biddle Chairman Of Peterborough Sports Saturday 12th March.

Post by russell »

MichaelD wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:09 pm Despite the difficulties of being a Level 2 clubs, other clubs do make the jump successfully. Yes, it would require a complete change of attitude within the club, but even Hitchin are not beyond that possibility.
It's obviously not merely a change in 'attitude' whatever that's supposed to mean. The current volunteers don't lack the right attitude its just there aren't enough of them to redesign a football stadium worthy of the Harlem Globetrotter style franchise Jackie is anticipating once the current manager leaves

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Interview With Grant Biddle Chairman Of Peterborough Sports Saturday 12th March.

Post by Chris_N »

Greenfinch wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:33 pm Looks like we are stuffed then Chris,unless I win The Lottery,The Cow Commoners disband,or The Council start taking an interest in football,and none of that is going to happen anytime soon.Football at Top Field is much more than winning promotion,we will always be in the G7 of local football whatever happens,along with all the ups and downs that go with it.Looking at the negative posts on here nobody has come up with a solution,because there isn't one,we are where we are.Solvent,with a dedicated Manager and at least 300 loyal supporters.
Wish you had put your post on from the beginning Chris,it has given a first class insight of exactly what an enormous task it would be if ever promotion was fulfilled, let alone appeasing The Cow Commoners.
"I'm Spartacus"
We can dream Pete!

Although what I put are the realities of what promotion would mean, what concerns me more is that the goalposts at the level we are at are moving. Clubs are being expected to be more and more compliant to the requirements of the FA, the League and the County. To complete the football administration process the number of different systems we are required to use is increasing all the time. We are fortunate to have other volunteers besides myself who are more proficient than me in use of some of the systems, but I know at some Clubs it's a one man band. But all dedicated volunteers.

"No I'm Spartacus".
MichaelD wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:09 pm Despite the difficulties of being a Level 2 club, other clubs do make the jump successfully. Yes, it would require a complete change of attitude within the club, but even Hitchin are not beyond that possibility.
But there is a 30 year plus ingrained culture that still is prevalent. The four people at the upper echelons of the Club in 1990 are the same four people at the top in 2022. Admire their dedication, loyalty, and for all they do and have done to keep the Club in existence through some tough times, but are the key things largely done the same way now as they were in 1990? How, having been in post/situ/place for over 30 years, do you see and accept that a complete change in your own approaches, attitudes and behaviours might be needed, to create the correct culture for 2022 and going forward? There have been different attitudes, behaviours, personalities, skills and outlooks added to the equation, all different, all passionate, often creative and forward looking - but that's on the outside. But is the core any different?

I totally agree with you - it is not beyond that possibility of change, but there needs to be an acceptance that a complete change of attitude, approach and behaviour may be required going forwards, not only if progress were to be considered but even for survival at the level we are at. For everyone to consider.
russell wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:26 pm It's obviously not merely a change in 'attitude' whatever that's supposed to mean. The current volunteers don't lack the right attitude its just there aren't enough of them to redesign a football stadium worthy of the Harlem Globetrotter style franchise Jackie is anticipating once the current manager leaves
I am sure Jacqueline's expectations aren't quite that high Russell. ;)
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Rule nothing out, rule everything in (on a budget!) Step 3 for a town of Hitchin's size is our Premiership, and the place we want to remain, if possible. Market forces mean nothing to the hard core supporters; they play the long game, and will come whatever the league position. We are all hoping to spot the next Kane Smith or John Frendo. Our history shows many ups and downs - the story of non league competition.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

Some excellent points, Chris. Yes, the club may well have to change attitudes to survive - even at Level 3.
Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch »

There was a notion on here ( I don't know who from)about 'die hard loyalists don't care if we get relegated or not'
and they would 'rather get relegated with Mark in charge'
Really? He has just negotiated a deal to bring Ciaren Jones back on loan,our star player from last season.
That carries respect both ways,welcome home for a while Ciaren, and well done Mark.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

russell wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:05 pm As night follows day

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... ue-3972141
But club owner/chairman Grant Biddle believes the club have reached their financial ceiling and he would now welcome investment from other parties. The 61 year-old has spent £600k of his own money in his four years at the club and would consider selling his interest.

The National League want Sports to increase the current capacity of their Bee Arena Stadium to 3,000 even though their average home gate hovers around the 300 mark.

Sports have also been operating under a transfer embargo since November after falling behind with their VAT payments. They have reduced the debt owed to £5k from £45k, but they need to clear it completely before the embargo is lifted.

Should anyone be surprised?
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

DarrenW wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:18 pm
Sports have also been operating under a transfer embargo since November after falling behind with their VAT payments. They have reduced the debt owed to £5k from £45k, but they need to clear it completely before the embargo is lifted.

Should anyone be surprised?
Playing with fire if you don't make payments to HMRC!

Not surprised, Darren, but in a way it is disappointing that clubs need to go through all the hoops and make all the changes once they get to Step 6. It used to be that the former Conference (Step 5) had a few big clubs and a majority of "non league" clubs. Now it is full of fallen giants supporting full-time squads and staff. And as one or two of them fall further, that has spread to Step 6.
And for a marked improvement in the quality of football? Not really.
The "pyramid" is it's own worst enemy - although it's not helped by the National League being run by incompetent cowboys.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

"We pushed the boat out to get up last season and we did fall behind with our HMRC payments hence the transfer embargo. We have made great strides to get that debt cleared, but until the final £5k is paid we cannot even sign a kid from Cambridge for £100 a week. The National League are very strict even with some higher profile clubs than ours".

"Pushing the boat out" - Hmmm, I think he means "spending money we didn't have" by not being able to pay the tax man so deliberately gaining an advantage over clubs run in a prudent manner.

I'm not sure you can really call it a "barely believable Cinderella Story" when someone's bunged an average of £150K in over each of the last four seasons. If their progress in the previous six seasons was all done in a prudent manner then well done to them, but you have to know your limits.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

and he is complaining about the embargo. 5 grand should be nothing to that guy the amount he has ploughed in so reeks of him possibly being skint?

I cant see many investors wanting to invest. Ground has had small upgrades nothing more. No Youth academy or 4g pitch? Hardly an investors dream.

Be interesting to see what happens during the close season.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic