THAT OLD CHESTNUT

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

MickD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

THAT OLD CHESTNUT

Post by MickD »

It was a bit like old times on Saturday when my role as match announcer was reprised for one time only, after both our youthful A team and slightly older first reserve had declared their unavailability. After clearing the first hurdle, courtesy of Nick finding a cable to connect my iPod Nano with the Amp, I was up and running.
As usual in my search for broadcasting perfection I had spent three hours the evening before swotting up on the likely starting line-up – checking the pronunciation and practising aloud any tricky names that might trip me up come the day – Brown, Jones, Horlock etc then it was time to look at the opposition.
So fully prepared and mechanically sound, team sheet before me, together with a pen I had borrowed from Freddie it was all systems go. Then a bombshell – Josh Bickerstaff trots over to me and says
“Mick – can’t you put on some motivational sounds, rather than tracks from Disney?”
“Nothing wrong with Disney mate”, I replied – wondering if the chorus of “Let it Go” had somehow confused our keeper’s warm up? In any case the closest I had come to Disney on Saturday had been Sigur Ros!
“You tell me Josh” I continued. “What tracks had you in mind?”
What music would indeed uplift the spirit of our plucky lads in that crucial pre-match period, without of course engendering a similar improved performance in the opposition? Two sound systems might work – their end of the pitch – back to back Disney, our end Eye of the Tiger on repeat? Time to get Chris Blackburn back on the job?
But I stray from the point – Josh was not singularly critical of my selection of music, indeed he wasn’t particularly aware that I had only been holding the fort for one day only. Maybe he has a point? What do you think?
If we can come up with a few inspirational sounds in time for Lowestoft, those Trawlermen won’t know what has hit them.

Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: THAT OLD CHESTNUT

Post by Kate Deller »

Mick you were excellent on Saturday and were complimented by at least 1 supporter who i was standing near :clap:

Would be great to know if there is a particular tune that would get the team 'going'

Perhaps Josh could feed back this info for whomever is on tannoy?
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

Hello......by Martin Solveig featuring Dragonette. It's post 1973 as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl2: Mick you almost sounded cheerful! Careful.....serious credbility question here :lol: :lol:
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
steve.max
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve.max »

Definately NOT - Down Down - by Status Quo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Shotgun by George Ezra, and of course it has yellow and green in the lyrics ( used to be played when the team ran out)
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

I always thought Yellow by Coldplay would have been a good track to play after a win but the Alex Parks version which is much more upbeat.

I think the prematch music should be an opportunity to showcase local talent and unsigned bands. The club were involved in Rhythms of The World 2019 with bands playing at the Canary Club. I've certainly played Lupa (who have performed at the Canary Club) and Drewjam from Letchworth. We have played Ammunition by a certain Max Ryan I believe.

I guess the downside is finding bands and tracks that won't drive the punters away!
Alan C
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Alan C »

….Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield
Alan C
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Alan C »

….or, The Only Way Is Up - Yazz