Dear Mark

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dear Mark

Post by Greenfinch »

I've watched you from day one,seen your honesty as a player on the pitch,don't think I ever saw you cautioned,and this season especially your integrity as a manager.This season has been challenging, early injuries to key players and others leaving for various reasons during the season,didn't give us the best start,but against a lot of flack on this forum, which wasn't censored, you stood firm,and the fans of this club,especially me are proud of you for avoiding relegation.One could have a thousand managers applying for your job, but they would never match the love and dedication,heart and soul, that you bring to our special Football Club.
Its not all about winning, this is the best fan base, that I've seen from all the years supporting Hitchin,we are a true community club, with mums and dads bringing their children in a safe environment.Ice cream vans,blow up canaries, applauding the players at the end of the game with tears in my eyes,and everybody going home happy,do we really want to be segregated in the National League. I think this is our level,unless we can build a few houses on Top Field to finance the demands of players wages, travelling and administrations of a higher league.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Dear Mark

Post by DarrenW »

Greenfinch wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:46 pm I've watched you from day one,seen your honesty as a player on the pitch,don't think I ever saw you cautioned,and this season especially your integrity as a manager.This season has been challenging, early injuries to key players and others leaving for various reasons during the season,didn't give us the best start,but against a lot of flack on this forum, which wasn't censored, you stood firm,and the fans of this club,especially me are proud of you for avoiding relegation.One could have a thousand managers applying for your job, but they would never match the love and dedication,heart and soul, that you bring to our special Football Club.
Its not all about winning, this is the best fan base, that I've seen from all the years supporting Hitchin,we are a true community club, with mums and dads bringing their children in a safe environment.Ice cream vans,blow up canaries, applauding the players at the end of the game with tears in my eyes,and everybody going home happy,do we really want to be segregated in the National League. I think this is our level,unless we can build a few houses on Top Field to finance the demands of players wages, travelling and administrations of a higher league.
Wise words I think...... Definitely a different challenge for him this season. Yes some discontent he quite frankly had the guts to address in October time when thing's not to good.

Im glad the majority inc myself have stuck with him. He is in my mind the best man for the job and hope the team can push on from yes a disappointing season but could have been much worse I feel.
Piltdown
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Piltdown »

You state this season has been challenging , what about the season prior to covid where we finished in the bottom half after being around the bottom 3 for most of the season .
Basically it has been a follow on with no improvement at all, hit and miss signings, no plan b or c in games , tactics never change , take on loan players that do not get any game time,substitutions are normally poor and have been for a long time
As stated before imo he has taken it as far as he can go ,I would like someone else to take on the challenge , when people say who else is there or he's the best man for the job then you need to give your head a wobble ,
I do not want another season of relegation worries and as it stands with Burke in charge it will not change
Spooks
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Spooks »

Who do you think you are???
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Piltdown wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:15 pm You state this season has been challenging , what about the season prior to covid where we finished in the bottom half after being around the bottom 3 for most of the season .
Basically it has been a follow on with no improvement at all, hit and miss signings, no plan b or c in games , tactics never change , take on loan players that do not get any game time,substitutions are normally poor and have been for a long time
As stated before imo he has taken it as far as he can go ,I would like someone else to take on the challenge , when people say who else is there or he's the best man for the job then you need to give your head a wobble ,
I do not want another season of relegation worries and as it stands with Burke in charge it will not change
He has 3 months now to look at the squad and looking where we are going.

Given the success he has bought us I feel your being harsh as like others your refusing to name a better replacement. Rather keep the clubman there to put right what went wrong this year.
Piltdown
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Piltdown »

But again it is not just this year, I am looking at previous full season and the season prior to that (11th) we have not improved but actually got worse ,so I feel I'm being honest not harsh .
As said previously I do not know the guy and can only go by what I watch , apart from the odd game it is the same old !
I could name any name as a manager ( how about zidane!) My opinion on a manager is irrelevant as it is up to the board to do the process on any change
All I am stating is the current manager i feel has had his time and would like to see a change
Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch »

If your opinion as a Manager is irrelevant, why post such audacious and insulting comments on the forum, and even stating that you don't know him.Well, as it happens a lot of our fans do like him, and 777 minus one and the travelling supporters showed their appreciation at the end of the Bromsgrove match.
Piltdown
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Piltdown »

?? Audacious and insulting? Where is that? Was I wrong to say I do not know The guy personally? As stated I base my opinion on what he does as a manager , nothing else
Again I stated my opinion on a change of manager ,do you think my choice of anyone else's carries any weight, no it does not .
As per usual you do not like a different opinion to your own , tough!
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

It is irrelevant if people like Mark Burke or not. He seems an okay manager for Hitchin's level of ambition - good to average, depending on results. Could someone do better? Perhaps, perhaps not.
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Piltdown has justified why he has the opinion he has based on his perceptions of how the season has gone for him. Based on what he has concluded football wise, he has made his judgment. Reasonable postings whether you agree with them or not. Not "audacious and insulting" as has been suggested. Brutally honest so far as he is concerrned maybe.

Michael D has above said: "It is irrelevant if people like Mark Burke or not".

But for some, it isn't is it? Is their judgement based on the fact that they know and love Mark as Club Legend, second highest appearance maker of all time, ......you've been there through all of it so is your final judgment made BECAUSE you like him first and foremost? And you love the comfort of stability?

At the end of the day, judgment all depends on what it is you are judging.

Just trying to suggest that everyone is entitled to their opinion and it should be respected, agree with it or not. Piltdown is looking at it through a completely different set of eyes than Greenfinch or Darren. Different criteria, so different judgment.

Oh and by the way Greenfinch, flak doesn't get censored so long as it stays within the Club's Code of Conduct. That would be a bit dictatorial wouldn't it, just censoring something because you don't like it ;)
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic