What is stopping people volunteering?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What is stopping people volunteering?

Post by Chris_N »

Brian wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:49 pm I would love to see ball boys and girls on the touchline although I don't know if health and safety allows this now.

Another good way of getting the youth sections involved in the club.
Principle is good, but we have applied a ground rule for a number of seasons now to cover ourselves, that being that photographers who want to work pitch side must have, and evidence that they have their own public liabiity insurance. Because the touchlines are not that far from the pitch edge, there is always the risk of player or personal injury . Not sure how it works for us, but if we had pitchside ball boys/girls and one of them was injured, I'm not sure how the Club stands on their insurance liability.

If we had a bigger surround to the pitch where they could stand back a significant way, it could be easier. My abiding memory of a ball boy was when we were on one of our just before Christmas jaunts to Bideford. Poor little lad was no more than 6-7 years old, freezing almost sub zero temperature and wet. But this lad braved it all the way through the first half and by half time he was almost frozen to his spot! Needless to say, he didn't appear for the second half!

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What is stopping people volunteering?

Post by Steve »

I don’t think there are many grounds in our league that have the space we have around the pitch, especially at the ends.
The side space is more now as I’ve reduced the width of the pitch by a yard each side to enable lino’s runs to grow and establish due to the short time since the pitch was renovated ( 5 weeks this Friday ) as I usually like at least 9 weeks before it’s played on again !
In saying that and anybody who’s witnessed the players warm up would agree I’m sure that it would be far too dangerous to allow ball boys or girls of any age to be standing pitch side !
Even adults behind the goals have been struck by a wayward shot at goal many times!
Therefore I don’t think we should consider having the youngsters doing the role unless their safety could be guaranteed which would be impossible IMO.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic