Fixtures for league

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Fixtures for league

Post by russell »

Presumably the logic is put the 'derbies' midweek but the frustrating thing for nondrivers like me are games like Rushden & Bedford tricky if not impossible on public transport in the evenings, and there won't be a club coach as they're too close

Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller »

I dont drive either Russell. Be great if there could be some lift sharing this season. Be happy to pay fuel costs. I am sure something could be sorted :)
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Perhaps there could be a 'lift wanted or lift share thread' kept open on the forum where those with spaces in their car for away games or those wanting a lift could post on the thread. It's been done on numerous occasions in the past with people offering spaces or requesting a lift.

Given the high fuel prices it would be good to car share.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

I'd definitely be up for contributing / covering petrol for a scheme like this where I couldn't do it by train / bus / tram*

*Basford!
SimonP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SimonP »

I would also welcome the chance to cadge a life and contribute petrol money for fixtures where there is not a coach and it is not feasible by public transport
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Living out of town, I don't do car shares, and only travel by public transport or shanks's pony. The Bedford home game is on a Saturday, so 'the local derbies in midweek' theory surely does not apply. Statistically Bedford Saturday attendances are roughly about 50% above their Tuesday gates, so I suspect Bedford may want (wishful thinking!) an alteration?
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:24 pm Public transport in the main is completely unreliable. Car sharing is the way to go.

With the rising cost of living it’s also far more economical for all those travelling together in the same vehicle, splitting either petrol or diesel costs several ways.

It’s a nice way of everyone pulling together to follow the team on the road.
I would dispute the idea public transport is 'completely unreliable' ! my only point was theres not really a very direct route from Rushden to Hitchin at 10pm on a Tuesday, probably for a very good reason
Last edited by russell on Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

anthony.brown wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:19 pm Living out of town, I don't do car shares, and only travel by public transport or shanks's pony. The Bedford home game is on a Saturday, so 'the local derbies in midweek' theory surely does not apply. Statistically Bedford Saturday attendances are roughly about 50% above their Tuesday gates, so I suspect Bedford may want (wishful thinking!) an alteration?
No I'm not saying they put all the local-ish games midweek, but as a large chunk do have to be, there does seem a pattern of having near(er) games midweek.. hence Needham Market & St Ives always seems to be midweek (the former we have a coach for and the latter is actually accessible by bus and train)
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Lowerstoff away on a Tuesday last season was ridiculous!
Surly the computer that does the fixtures can be programmed to avoid long trips midweek?
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

As supporters we do, of course, have to fit our plans to the fixture list agreed by the Clubs. My main concern is Bedford's 'bottom line', i.e. would they be better off financially by changing the fixture to a blank Saturday? Glad to see the forum waking up for the new season! I'll be doing my bit for the planet by avoiding travel by four-wheeled internal combustion engines.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic