Canary Corner

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Canary Corner

Post by Chris_N »

Long standing Hitchin fans have mentioned Canary Corner on this Forum lots of times. As a "Johnny Come Lately" (termed that way by a Hitchin fan in 2001 :lol: ), I never actually saw Canary Corner in all its glory, so for all of my 30 years plus since I first attended a Hitchin game, I have been of the "guess you had to be there" persuasion.

Until yesterday. Going through a pile of old Hitchin Town photos that came my way, I found a photo of Canary Corner in all its glory. For some a fond memory, for others like me, happy to be now able to visualise what it was about. Sharing it here for you all:
Canary Corner.jpg

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Canary Corner

Post by russell »

Beautiful photo
MickD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MickD »

Canary Corner should not be confused with the Windy Corner Tea Bar that occupied an area adjacent to the fixture board. Canary Corner was the sweet shop?

Don't suppose anyone has some pictures of that to share?
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

I remember it well but sadly no photo.
We used to get the tea in china cups which tasted much better than the plastic cups we get now.
Sausage rolls that came from Bliss the bakers, yum yum .
Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller »

Really happy this was shared. I too have never seen it.

Great share thank you
LTFC
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by LTFC »

There was a fundamental design flaw with Canary Corner (for me anyway) in that I was too small to see over the counter so my Dad had to choose my sweets for me. Windy Corner was always viewed through a dense fog of half-time cigarette smoke, different times. Wonderful memories
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

The posters date the pic to early 1981. Possibly taken on 10th January 1981? Advertising the coach to Croydon (£2.50/2.00) for the first round of the London Senior Cup on 17th January 1981 (a match we won 1-0 with a goal from Mick Small, according to Fishponder's stats.)
Big canary

Post by Big canary »

My memories of Canary Corner are of it being used to store the letters for the fixtures board and as a general store for Mick Walker and Reg as the then physio and groundstaff crew. I used to help out back then and a fair few years on I still am. Don't remember it serving food probably as I'm a bit younger than the others posting here 🤣
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

The food and drink were served from a large wooden tea bar that backed onto the corner where the new notice board is and there is still a gas pipe there that provided gas for the cookers etc.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

anthony.brown wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:07 am The posters date the pic to early 1981. Possibly taken on 10th January 1981? Advertising the coach to Croydon (£2.50/2.00) for the first round of the London Senior Cup on 17th January 1981 (a match we won 1-0 with a goal from Mick Small, according to Fishponder's stats.)
Blimey Anthony your eyesight is almost as impressive as your walking abilities. Please tell me you don't have a portrait of me in your attic?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic