Hitchin v Rushall Olympic/Extreme Heat

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

MACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hitchin v Rushall Olympic/Extreme Heat

Post by MACK »

Am happy with a point. We set up hoping to sneak a 1-0. Defence looks solid but it's difficult to see where goals will come from, whatever the weather

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH »

I'm slightly baffled that the Southern League didn't postpone all games today given that, as Rupe points out, there is a completely free weekend on March 11th & all grounds fell within the 30+° temperature area. I stood behind the Lancaster Ave goal in the 2nd half &, whilst getting on in years & nowhere near fit, the heat was almost unbearable. A delayed kick off time would only have been beneficial if it was at 7.45pm, hardly ideal for a Saturday, & it would still be pretty warm even then. Aside from the safety issue I'm sure attendances were down because of the heat, reducing revenue & the tea bar was pretty quiet as well. Finally there was a rail strike just to add to the problems of the day.

The Isthmian League have shown some initiative &, for me, it was a chance for the Southern League to take it a stage further & maybe set a precedent for other leagues to follow. It would most certainly not have gone unnoticed.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

I don’t think playing in such heat really benefits anyone. The players, the fans, the spectacle. The game was so poor because of the heat, everyone looked frazzled and it was a relief when it ended. Why the league had to start so early is a mystery… I dont think any Hitchin players will be on international duty in November.
Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch »

This heat thing is a bit over the top,it's called summer,so just enjoy it nature will take care of herself.The Dessert Rats when they were fighting Rommel in the second world war,they got hot too, and had to dodge bullets,but they didn't get water breaks,if they had laid down their arms we probably wouldn't be playing football anyway.
Which leads me nicely into the match, Hitchin were firing blanks most of the match,the best chance fell to Lewis, but unfortunately his effort went flashing past the post.We surrendered midfield with 20mins to go and their sapper of a substitute nearly destroyed us with his aerial bombardment of crosses,but we held firm,with a good rear guard display.Both Generals will be happy with a point,in an even contested battle.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

The past is no measure of the future. Yes we tolerated heat and suffered. I remember the summer of 1976 and seeing women fainting on the tube, people suffering from sun stroke. We have moved on, we understand the effect of excessive heat and this is no ordinary summer, as the past three years haven’t been ordinary,
We also know more about hydration and skin cancer. In 1976, we were not allowed to take our jackets off at work. We had to tolerate. Comparing the past all the time is daft, our lives have been made easier by science and social developments. Pretty much all of us haven’t had to join an army or fight. We have learnt from the past. Playing football in 35 degrees is inadvisable. Sun bathing to excess is not good for you. That’s common sense.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

As for the game…it was dire
MACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MACK »

Very wise words in your 7.33 post and I fully agree with the 7.49 post too, Neil.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

KEITH wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:26 am I'm slightly baffled that the Southern League didn't postpone all games today given that, as Rupe points out, there is a completely free weekend on March 11th & all grounds fell within the 30+° temperature area. I stood behind the Lancaster Ave goal in the 2nd half &, whilst getting on in years & nowhere near fit, the heat was almost unbearable. A delayed kick off time would only have been beneficial if it was at 7.45pm, hardly ideal for a Saturday, & it would still be pretty warm even then. Aside from the safety issue I'm sure attendances were down because of the heat, reducing revenue & the tea bar was pretty quiet as well. Finally there was a rail strike just to add to the problems of the day.

The Isthmian League have shown some initiative &, for me, it was a chance for the Southern League to take it a stage further & maybe set a precedent for other leagues to follow. It would most certainly not have gone unnoticed.
Best post ive seen in sometime. Agree with all your point's Keith.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic