Crying out for a cutting edge

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Brian Parker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Crying out for a cutting edge

Post by Brian Parker »

A disappointing 0-0 draw today, when despite another trojan effort from the defence we barely created a clear cut chance for the second home game running. We were playing a team that were beaten 0-4 at home last week and for 75 minutes we were saying "we have to beat this lot", but for the last quarter hour we were hanging on and in the end relieved to get a draw.

I understand that the two lads that performed so well up front in the Youth Cup tie will be turning out in the mid week friendly (assuming Shefford don't have to replay). Lets hope that they play well and get signed up.

Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Crying out for a cutting edge

Post by Geoff »

Shefford drew 1-1 :oops1:
"Confusion will be my epitaph"
Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch »

As I see it Mark is determined not to have the same start as last season,and has built a team that he says is hard to beat, and with only two goals conceded,he has masterminded a sound defence,with one of the best keepers in the league behind them.He wants points in the bag,which will give him a platform for this young team to develop alongside the senior players,meanwhile, us supporters have to be patient until such time Mark feels confident enough to release the true attacking skills,which his young strikers undoubtedly have.
KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH »

It was a frustrating draw but we did have a couple of chances to win the game. I didn't feel, as Brian says, that we were hanging on in the last 15mins but that's just my view. Basford offered very little in the way of football, preferring to hoof long balls for the wide men to chase. Our defence dealt with their attacks pretty comfortably most of the time.

When you build a new team as Burkey is you start from the back & work forward. This season we have virtually a whole new defence, only Jack & Charlie in goal remain from last season. So far they are gelling well & long may it continue because if you're hard to beat it gives the rest of team confidence. Yes we have a goal scoring issue at the moment. Rio is a wide attacking midfielder, asked to play the no.9 role as he was at the end of last season. Burkey has heard good things about the 2 lads in the youth team but youth team football as we know is a lot different to the first team. Having said that I would be inclined to put at least 1 of them on the bench for Needham Market & maybe give them the last 15/20mins. Last season Arsenal played their young guys all season because they had Lacazette to help them develope on the pitch. We have Steve Cawley (playing well so far) who can fill that role & help bring the youngsters through. We just need the courage to at least try. It worked for Arsenal, why not us.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic