FA Cup Draw

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Brian Parker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: FA Cup Draw

Post by Brian Parker »

Well I think Mark has got a big problem on his hands. Unlike many who seemed content, even pleased that we had picked up points by parking the bus whilst playing against some pretty ordinary teams, I have been of the opinion that we lacked any semblance of a cutting edge. Only one goal in four home games tells a story.

On the plus side we are lucky to have two excellent keepers and an energetic back line. I have lost count of the number of saves and brave blocks that they have made between them. From personal experience I know what it's like to play in a defence where there is little or nothing happening in front of you. You become afraid to make a mistake. Then you meet a team like Heybridge who unlike our earlier opponents can finish and you have nothing with which to answer back. It can be demoralising.

In front of that back line we have very little, a midfield that does little more than defend. A young lad up front who is trying hard to adapt to becoming a striker and with support I believe has the ability to do so, but that support is sadly missing. The only passes that reach a college are invariably square. Any forward passes end up with an opponent or are over hit and go for a goal kick. We have eight youngsters who are willing to run their hearts out but lack the guile to open teams up. Alongside them we have only two experienced players who are just not performing when they are the guys that should be running the show.

There are major coaching problems like how to build from the back effectively and how to defend corners and wide free kicks against those that are accomplished in the air. Marking touch tight and goal side needs concentration, you have to stop their runs and that means continuing to watch the man and not just the ball when it's on the way.

There is promise from some in this team but a couple of experienced and hard working play makers look to be essential and some close support for Finlay Wilkinson is a must. Unfortunately our club doesn't seem to have the where with all to bring such players here.

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

Great debate and a great read. I have my thoughts:

- This one was definitely not down to the Management. One basic thing you learn as a Manager is to work with what you have to work with. Truth is, Steve Tilson the Heybridge Manager has more to work with. And judging by the wealth of experience in his squad, a bigger budget. They are a Step 4 club waiting to become a Step 3 club next season.

- Agree with Steve Darren, Southern League always more physical than Isthmian historically. But Isthmian historically technically more sound and more attractive football played.

- There were a few of us waiting by the gate at the end of the game as players started to filter out. Two of the more senior players apologised to us. They were hurting like we were. They'd had the Solihull experience and wanted more of it. They understood the magic of the FA Cup.

This was the FA Cup. That makes this fixture.....special. The older players get it and what it means to Hitchin Town and their history in the competition. The younger players.....well how do you teach them that it's not "just another game of football"? I remember in the 90s a player about to run out for a game in the Herts Senior Cup being asked if he knew what competition he was competing in. He hadn't a clue.....just another game of football. And that's maybe the problem. Almost all young players turning out for Hitchin in the earlier rounds of the FA Cup, with the odd exception, don't understand how important it is to the club. How do you teach that as a Manager?
Mr Refreshment
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mr Refreshment »

Freddie Cardy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:29 pm The social media team being blamed more than the players for a defeat is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
I agree. How absurd.
Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch »

All the years I've been supporting Hitchin, after a while, you get used to games like this.Its so disappointing, Heybridge are a team similar to Needham with a bit more about them,that day we played our hearts out,Saturday our heart wasn't in the game.You could have put any manager in charge and it wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome.We don't become a bad team over one game,players missing and others playing out of position didn't help.They out muscled us and wanted it more, and sometimes that's what underdogs do,its hard to swallow, and I bet the players are choked,along with Mark more than we will ever know.Its a big learning curve, about the rigours of cup football and football in general, it's a high bar to reach at times, but there is still enough talent, experience and commitment to jump over it,as we have already seen in our league matches.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Last edited by DarrenW on Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:38 pm Let’s all now move on. Oh and I’m still hoping that I won’t be standing alone for too much longer as the only person who criticised Mark last season to be the only critic who has complimented him this season. The trolls would do well to remember that.
I think Chris's post regarding trolling is relevent here.

Only one antagonist posting.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:31 pm
DarrenW wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:24 pm
Jacqueline Mary wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:38 pm Let’s all now move on. Oh and I’m still hoping that I won’t be standing alone for too much longer as the only person who criticised Mark last season to be the only critic who has complimented him this season. The trolls would do well to remember that.
I think Chris's post regarding trolling is relevent here.

Only one antagonist posting.
Hi Darren,

These were not my words but the words of another supporter who said they wish that more people who had criticised the management last season had the decency to say what I had said regarding my compliments of Mark and the great early start this season. That’s all.

Regarding my mentioning of trolling and then your reference my point was a generalisation as it is common knowledge that there were many many posts deleted on here last season. Enjoy the rest of your evening Darren.
You posted it therefore it's on you.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Nothing to say further. Happy with my few words to your many.
MACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MACK »

An appropriate response, DarrenW. I couldn't go to the Heybridge game. I AM free to go to the Coalville game but right now I'm sorry to say I might give it a miss as I fear another non-show
Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Geoff »

If you fear a no-show then you should give up being a 'Hitchin supporter'.
Being a supporter is about being there and trying to encourage our lads to compete hard, and then we can all share the highs and lows.
Being a supporter at Saturdays game was hard to take and the desire to kick the players, and management, where it hurts was profound.
However, what is more annoying is the Bedford ticketing. I was going, but a £2 surcharge for paying cash has raised my hackles. Daylight (or evening) robbery in my opinion.
So back to the computer dilemma, Pre-book OR no-show :grumpy1:
"Confusion will be my epitaph"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic