FA Cup Draw

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: FA Cup Draw

Post by Steve »

Excellent post Geoff👍👍

MACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MACK »

A bit harsh, Geoff but I'll take it on the chin!
Actually, I've supported Hitchin home and away through quite a bit ( including many tough times)- I drove to Methyr on a Tuesday evening even when I had to leave for work at 4.30 the following morning!
But I'm only human- true 'supporter ' or not, and my enthusiasm levels waver from time to time...I do agree with your general point though- I can't stand Liverpool or Manchester Utd 'supporters' who have never been north of Watford...
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

Geoff wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:22 pm However, what is more annoying is the Bedford ticketing. I was going, but a £2 surcharge for paying cash has raised my hackles. Daylight (or evening) robbery in my opinion. So back to the computer dilemma, Pre-book OR no-show :grumpy1:
It's not a dilemma Geoff, your wife buys it for you.

Geoff, as MACK stated earlier in this thread we are in the 21st Century with the policy we have adopted and stuck to. We went through all of the business considerations - benefits in processes, much less labour intensive, much much less risk, how those who were not computer literate could adapt to the change, and the anticipated fallout/buyout of those who would not accept or respect the change and stuck to their principles. No different to other sporting events, theatre, cinema, even many places of interest. We respect an individual's right to choose. We even showed transparency by publishing our rationale "Why All Ticket" on the website https://hitchintownfc.club/why-all-ticket/

Bedford want to be all ticket, like us, and they do see the business benefits, but they like other clubs are still swayed by the few who threaten to not support the team anymore if they don't take cash/card on the gate. So they are trying to get as many as possible to buy online, although they will always only get a percentage while they accept other means of payment at the turnstiles. They still have all of the labour intensity and the risks to deal with, and the people who don't buy online at Bedford having the same choices as those who opt out from buying an online ticket to Hitchin games. If they don't want to go, they won't go. You are looking at it the wrong way round Geoff - it's not £2 dearer on the gate, it's £2 cheaper to buy your ticket online in advance.

Not going back to the issue of tickets but I did think it was important to explain Bedford's position because I think you've totally got the wrong end of the stick. Oh and by the way, if you go to any professional club or any club at Step 2 and 1 that offer a buy on the gate entry, most of them will charge less for buying online in advance. And Tamworth for one do in our League.
MACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MACK »

Well said, Chris. I'm really enjoying the forum this year, even though I've been slated a bit- or maybe because I've been slated a bit...
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

OK we lost. We pick ourselves up and go again...... and so do the players, I hope. I've noticed that there are a number of teams in our division who, like us, have several youngsters in their starting line ups. We won't meet teams like Heybridge and Coalville every week, and lessons will be learned as our team comes together through the season. If you want a ready made team watch a Premiership club; if you want to see players coming through (some on their way higher, perhaps) stick with non-league.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Chris_N wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:07 pm
Geoff wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:22 pm However, what is more annoying is the Bedford ticketing. I was going, but a £2 surcharge for paying cash has raised my hackles. Daylight (or evening) robbery in my opinion. So back to the computer dilemma, Pre-book OR no-show :grumpy1:
It's not a dilemma Geoff, your wife buys it for you.

Geoff, as MACK stated earlier in this thread we are in the 21st Century with the policy we have adopted and stuck to. We went through all of the business considerations - benefits in processes, much less labour intensive, much much less risk, how those who were not computer literate could adapt to the change, and the anticipated fallout/buyout of those who would not accept or respect the change and stuck to their principles. No different to other sporting events, theatre, cinema, even many places of interest. We respect an individual's right to choose. We even showed transparency by publishing our rationale "Why All Ticket" on the website https://hitchintownfc.club/why-all-ticket/

Bedford want to be all ticket, like us, and they do see the business benefits, but they like other clubs are still swayed by the few who threaten to not support the team anymore if they don't take cash/card on the gate. So they are trying to get as many as possible to buy online, although they will always only get a percentage while they accept other means of payment at the turnstiles. They still have all of the labour intensity and the risks to deal with, and the people who don't buy online at Bedford having the same choices as those who opt out from buying an online ticket to Hitchin games. If they don't want to go, they won't go. You are looking at it the wrong way round Geoff - it's not £2 dearer on the gate, it's £2 cheaper to buy your ticket online in advance.

Not going back to the issue of tickets but I did think it was important to explain Bedford's position because I think you've totally got the wrong end of the stick. Oh and by the way, if you go to any professional club or any club at Step 2 and 1 that offer a buy on the gate entry, most of them will charge less for buying online in advance. And Tamworth for one do in our League.
Possibly relevant to this.. there were protests yesterday outside Hitchin Station at the plans to close the staffed ticket offices presumably to further maximise shareholders profits. Again this probably won't concern the vast majority of people but marginalised groups depend on using cash and personal help are being sidelined further in the post covid new normal.

One of my fears as a computer literate (I hope) match goer is relying solely on my phone. I went to Old Trafford on Sunday to watch my other team lose and literally everything - contactless payment, train tickets, match tickets, hotel location, was on my phone.. God knows what would happen if I lost the phone or the battery went.. I suspect I'd still be wandering around Salford
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

It's very true Russell. Workers being shafted across the board right now and not sure where its heading.

Technology is not to be relied on as you rightly say. Phone damaged or nicked and your stuffed.
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Not if it’s backed up on the cloud Darren your not!
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Steve wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:47 pm Not if it’s backed up on the cloud Darren your not!
Like Russell said what help is that if your on the move to wherever your going?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic