Bedford Town v Hitchin Town

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

MACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bedford Town v Hitchin Town

Post by MACK »

Stung by the recent slant that I'm not a true supporter, I've now arrived at Bedford. Last time I was here was for a psf a couple of years ago. Will take the same result today...

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Bedford Town v Hitchin Town

Post by Greenfinch »

Its a pity we conceded in the first minute,but overall we were outplayed in the first half,we were slightly better in the second half. Sorry that I can't report more on the match itself, but my night was spoiled, by the foul mouthed supporters behind their goal. It was an utter disgrace,and the Bedford officials should be ashamed of themselves to allow it to happen.IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN TOLERATED AT HITCHIN TOWN. I went home thinking more of them than the match itself,and that shouldn't be the case.
mattf
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mattf »

Hard to judge the game entirely as conceding after only a minute threw any possible game plan out of the window. Bedford are a strong, physical side (who also know how to perform the dark arts when needed - not always a bad thing for game management) and to put it bluntly, we got bullied by them for large periods. In the opening 45 minutes it was clear that every time we got the ball, we would panic and lose possession - Bedford knew this and pressed well, because they quickly realised this would be an easy night if they did - frustrating to watch, to be honest.

We are lacking height and physicality in the side overall, but there were bright sparks in the final 30 minutes with the subs - both Diogo and Snelus looked bright and offered something that was clearly missing in the first half. We had some good chances in that period - Steve Cawley missing a very good chance with a header just before their third goal (not able to quite glance it in) and then having a shot brilliantly tipped over the bar, while Finley Wilkinson hit the post.

I do think we need to consider the budgets of both clubs. We know the Hitchin way - agree or disagree with it - where we live within our means. Bedford Town have much more money than us to spend - no doubts about that. This means they can flex their muscle and bring in all sorts of players we could only wish to have access to. Tonight's game definitely reflected that and the big task we've got for 2022-23 as a whole to avoid relegation (again).

It's going to be a long season, but we already knew that. I don't think this is the time to be negative about the squad - there's some quality in there, but we're just missing a couple of players who can add some power/physicality and height to the side.
mattf
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mattf »

It's fairly obvious with the calibre of player they can attract! You aren't signing players like George Thorne for less than a few hundred a week. They also employ FT members of staff for off-field operations etc, something very few clubs can offer at our level. They've been throwing money at the club for years now.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

mattf wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:31 pm It's fairly obvious with the calibre of player they can attract! You aren't signing players like George Thorne for less than a few hundred a week. They also employ FT members of staff for off-field operations etc, something very few clubs can offer at our level. They've been throwing money at the club for years now.
Times have changed. Not to long ago they was going broke. How they ended up in Div1 for a few seasons.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

Without sufficient money it is always going to be a long season.
Brian Parker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian Parker »

It's not just strikers that we need. We have a midfield that hardly ever gets over the halfway line and lacks creativity. The lack of goals is not just down to missed chances it's more a case of not making many. Another problem is a lack of aerial power up front. Most crosses go unchallenged. Corners and wide free kicks are aimlessly hoicked across with nobody looking able to get a head on them. We need to come up with some workable alternatives until such time as we can get someone up front who can challenge in the area.

Unlike those who thought we played well in our opening games, I was a lot more sanguine. Yes we got some much needed points but where was the entertainment? If watching with your heart in your mouth for 90 minutes while we park the bus and try to hang on for a 1-0 win or 0-0 draw is your thing, it's not going to bring the crowds in. Meanwhile it looks like it could be another long hard season.
MACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MACK »

Many comments that I agree upon, particularly that we are missing Lewis Barker and Jack Morrell- and that the midfield lacks creativity. I might add that we're also missing genuine wing backs- a must if we are going to play 3/ 5 at the back. And we need to find Malaki Black's best position- he is definitely creative and can play a midfield role but I suspect he's being used at left back/ centre back due to lack of options. One last point from Tuesday's game. Difficult to judge from their limited game time but it looks like the two new midfield players might add some thing once they are fit and integrated- let's hope so.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic