How far does your loyalty stretch?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

BedfordshireBaker

Re: How far does your loyalty stretch?

Post by BedfordshireBaker »

I haven’t commented yet as I am new to the forum this season but feel now should be the first time to add some thoughts....

I appreciate, as no doubt many fans do, that the last few games haven’t been anything to cheer about, but as has been mentioned before there have been a number of changes to the team and it takes time to find the right selection of players that work most effectively together. It is easy to point fingers at Mark Burke, however the players are also responsible for the performance as much as the management team. In my opinion, getting behind the team during the lows will only help to rebuild confidence ahead of the next game. I have no doubt some of the players read this forum too and it isn’t great when the fans are picking apart a run of poor performances without any comments on how there is opportunity to improve. It is frustrating for everyone, but I feel fans are meant to support and inspire the team to push forward. Also, as you mentioned, we did have some good performances earlier on in the season, so it hasn’t been a completely dismal start all around (just a few weeks of disappointing results).

As for the away support who are loyal Hitchin fans, it is easier to comment after a win or draw with a positive tweet as it is short and sweet. After a loss, in my opinion it is best to take some time to reflect before putting things on platforms that may later be regretted, therefore I don’t think you can criticise the fans and accuse them of being ‘scared to comment’. These fans give up hours of their time to travel to/from the away matches, and sometimes if you have nothing nice to say it is best to say nothing at all (especially so shortly after a defeat when emotions are high, and I doubt people wish to immediately jump to Twitter to reel off their concerns on the performance without taking some time to reflect on it).

Your assumption that people have money to burn is unreasonable, especially in today’s climate. All Hitchin supporters spend their hard-earned cash on both season tickets and tickets and to accuse people of ‘burning money’ seems a little dramatic. I know this is a fan’s forum but not everyone wishes to be as vocal as others, and no doubt this is the same as Twitter. People are entitled to reflect and analyse the game as they wish, whether that is through documenting their concerns and emotions on a social media forum, or whether they prefer to rant to other fans, or alternatively say nothing at all.

I appreciate you wish to use this forum as a way to ask the difficult questions (which no doubt others do too), but I feel that everyone is entitled to express their views and concerns in their own manner without it being called out as a negative.

If all of us were the same, then it would be a very boring world to live in 😊

MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

There is holding to account and accepting someone is doing their best with very limited resources in terms of player quality.
Spooks
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Spooks »

I do have a season ticket and I go to the games and I don’t comment on here because I choose not to, not because certain people think fans have to.
I go to watch a game of football if we win that’s good if we lose that’s life, but I’m there for the next game to support the team and manager.
Comment all you like about the players / manager but let’s get behind them not ‘run’ them down.
Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch »

Unbroken
Mr Refreshment
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mr Refreshment »

When I was young my Dad would take me to games at Maine Road. Each time we got there a man was there holding a sign saying "The end of the world is nigh!"
I asked my Dad what it was about. He replied that no matter how things are going some people always want to see the negative.
That's what it's like on this forum. No matter how encouraging the majority of posts are they are always sniped at and put down with Tolstoyan epilogues.
Stop and get behind the team!
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

If no one asks the difficult questions then there is little point having a forum.
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

MichaelD wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:23 am If no one asks the difficult questions then there is little point having a forum.
Agree 100% with that.

We were much better second half last night. If we can build a bit more strength both physically and mentally into the team as the season goes on we should be fine. We currently sit 11th in the table - and that has to be the target, to stay around that position.

Impressed with Ashley Hay, he looked like a proper number 9. Doesn't have to be the main goal scorer in that position but others will need to step up and contribute on the goal front.
BedfordshireBaker

Post by BedfordshireBaker »

I agree, the whole point of a forum is to be able to share opinions and discussions- the sole benefit is the 'free speech' and discussion with other fans.

However, I do sometimes feel reading back that it has become a negativity platform- there are also plenty of positives that have occurred from the start of this season which appear to have been overshadowed by the negatives (as Chris said, we are currently 11th in the league). Overall, Hitchin looked like a good team yesterday, started a bit scruffy with St Ives scoring within the first 20 minutes, however I felt they really picked up form for the remainder of the game and a draw was a well-earned result! A lot of positive play across the team last night- Josh Coldicott-Stephens played well, as did Stephen Gleeson and Finley Wilkinson (to name a few!)

I feel there should be a balance of both the good and the bad across the season, not just focusing on the negatives and picking apart every game. Football matches don't always have the fairy-tale ending fans would like, but with a strong fanbase such as Hitchin's then we should give the team (both players and management) the support they deserve for the remainder of the season.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Super question. I remember taking my young nephew to Dorking for an away game which we lost 0-4 (and we were lucky to get 0). The team at the time included young players M.Burke, esquire, and Steve Miller, two players who would go on to become Canaries heroes. That game was on 16th November 1991 (thanks to Fishponder stats for reminding me of the date). So however the Club is performing, real fans take the long view and support whatever eleven is chosen by the manager; and, of course, hope for the best!
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

anthony.brown wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:27 pm Super question. I remember taking my young nephew to Dorking for an away game which we lost 0-4 (and we were lucky to get 0). The team at the time included young players M.Burke, esquire, and Steve Miller, two players who would go on to become Canaries heroes. That game was on 16th November 1991 (thanks to Fishponder stats for reminding me of the date). So however the Club is performing, real fans take the long view and support whatever eleven is chosen by the manager; and, of course, hope for the best!
Dorking. We couldnt beat the buggers. Capped off they was two Div's below us around 97 and drew them in the league cup and they still beat us.

Chesham stepped in for the bogey team around the same time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic