Chesterfield at Top Field tonight

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Freddie Cardy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Chesterfield at Top Field tonight

Post by Freddie Cardy »

Just some final thoughts from me...

The initial post on this thread was about our commentary of Hitchin vs Chesterfield in the FA Youth Cup. Why the only reply to that was telling me to not 'walk on eggshells' and be more critical in the commentaries (whether that is indeed first team games, youth games or women's games isn't specified), just seems to be an unnecessary comment, certainly not in the context of my post. Why that point from one person to another had to be put on a public forum should also raise eyebrows.

The irony is that when I was commentating in America this summer I was called out by one of the players for being TOO critical. My commentary style and approach hasn't changed before or since, so you can see why it's tiring and frustrating for me to now be told I'm not critical enough. As was my initial reply, it's important to know who to listen to when taking advice about this sort of thing, and every commentator who has given me feedback on our broadcasts has said very different things to what was accused in Jacqui's post.

Myself and Marac often wonder if we're too critical of the team- in one game we were laying into one player only to realise his dad was sitting in front of us! That really isn't easy to do, but when you haven't been in our shoes you might not imagine these sort of challenges, and that's fine.

As Chris says, we are here to commentate on games of football and provide a service to supporters, not be some kind of propaganda wing for the club that only praises the team and censors all negative views. Not once have I been asked by the club to change our style of commentary, and (somehow) we've never had a player who has taken offence to any criticism.

Of course we keep in mind that the players and their family and friends listen back to the commentaries, which only makes you work harder to make sure that your criticism is reasonable and balanced, and the players have always agreed that it has been.

Once again, we're volunteers with zero broadcast training or prior experience who do it because we absolutely love it, and want the team to do well. We'll be there at Tamworth on Saturday, and Stratford next Tuesday night. Come on you Canaries.

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Well said Freddie
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

Keep doing what you are doing. It sounds like you are developing your own style of commentary, which all commentators do as they gain more experience. You will never please every listener. Look at professional commentators, for example, Alan Green divides opinion.
As for players, they always know if they have had a bad game or not. They are on a learning process, like you.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Canadian wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:17 pm She is passionate about HTFC and only wants success for the club.
I'm a bit tired of the circus not least as I'm struggling to get to many games, but I wouldn't put too much faith in this verdict. It seems to me more about boosting her own profile locally as some sort of renegade disruptor, as if society didn't have enough turmoil as it is
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

Please don’t discourage youngsters from getting involved. The club needs them to provide a future.
Commentating is a challenging genre. When I was involved at the club, there were some folk who felt I was too impartial with my reports, but there were equal numbers of felt I was too partisan. You cannot please everyone and neither should you try. I’ve always felt that reporting should not be done by myopic fans, that the eye of the neutral is more valuable than the ranting fan. You carry on, Freddie and listen to those with the experience.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Neil wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 am Please don’t discourage youngsters from getting involved. The club needs them to provide a future.
Commentating is a challenging genre. When I was involved at the club, there were some folk who felt I was too impartial with my reports, but there were equal numbers of felt I was too partisan. You cannot please everyone and neither should you try. I’ve always felt that reporting should not be done by myopic fans, that the eye of the neutral is more valuable than the ranting fan. You carry on, Freddie and listen to those with the experience.
Eloquently put Neil.

Excellent posting :clap: :clap:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic