World Cup Predictions Competition

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

World Cup Predictions Competition

Post by RST »

Yes I know this isn't really Talk Hitchin Town FC, but it's probably the most visited part of the forum so I'm posting here anyway (and it will raise some funds for the Hitchin Town Supporters' Trust)!

With the World Cup rapidly approaching and given people do seem to like to make a prediction or two I have put together a prediction competition that may give an extra bit of interest to some of the matches that might otherwise seem less than exciting and generally give you a chance to show how well you know your world football, or not!

I hope some of you might fancy having a go and feel free to get family members and friends to join in if they like – hopefully we’ll end up with enough entries to make it a worthwhile competition without ending up with so many that I don’t have time to mark them all!

With home HTFC matches on Saturday and Monday hopefully that’ll give you time to do your research, fill it in your predictions and bring it in to me.

Entry fee is £5 and the prize fund will be split 50% to the winner, 10% to the runner up and 40% will go to the Hitchin Town Supporters’ Trust, so there is some benefit to the club from your efforts.

In case you are wondering, I have numbered all the matches and additional predictions from 1 to 60 to make it easier for me to mark, so don't worry about them!

Rupert Russell
Hitchin Town Supporters' Trust Secretary

World Cup 2022 Predictions.pdf
World Cup Predictions
(146.8 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: World Cup Predictions Competition

Post by DarrenW »

Good idea Rupert will you be at Royston with forms?

Also worth bearing in mind if we finish runners up in our group then the 2nd round will fall on the same day we are at Basford so may be an early kick off?
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Hi Darren,

I probably won't be at Royston, but will perhaps get someone to collect any outstanding forms and fees on my behalf if I'm not. All predictions will need to be made prior to the kick off of the opening match of the tournament - it's only individual match predictions in the first stage, the remaining predictions are on different things so won't matter who is playing who.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Don't forget to bring me your prediction entry forms tomorrow evening at the Coalville game, or leave them with Chris Newbold in the club shop. Chris has also kindly agreed to field any last gasp forms at the away game at Royston next Saturday - thanks Chris :thumbsup:
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Final reminder that if you want to have a bash at the prediction competition Chris Newbold will be collecting any entry forms and fees (£5 per entry) at Royston tomorrow.

For anyone not going to Royston who wants to enter you can post them through my door if you are in Hitchin before first kick off on Sunday. Message me if you need my address.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Thanks to everyone who has entered the competition. I will put updates on this thread, but the first won't be until next weekend. I will also confirm the prizes at that point.

In the interest of transparency and perhaps to give you a laugh, I have attached my and my wife's attempts here so that in the frightfully unlikely event of either of us doing well there is no suspicion of anything dodgy going on!
Attachments
Rupe Predictions pdf.pdf
(148.55 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Cat Predictions pdf.pdf
(148.55 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Ok, back from a week away and it only took several hours to catch up with marking all the predictions so far and getting it on a spreadsheet!

I can report that we have a grand total of 58 contestants - big thanks to Mark for getting all of the players and staff involved too. This makes a prize pot of £290 which will be split - 1st Place 50%: £145, 2nd Place 10% £29 and 40% £116 will go to the Hitchin Town Supporters' Trust.

I am somewhat relieved that I posted my and Cat's predictions on the previous post on this thread prior to the first game as who knew that Mrs Russell was a world football expert! She and Robin Wainwright currently lead the way with 30 points from the first 24 matches (up to and including the games played on Saturday 26th November).

Robin achieved the phenomenal achievement yesterday of getting all four matches spot on - I assume that would have been a few thousand to one - to surge up the leader board.

All being well updates will be more frequent now so keep your eyes on this thread.

Good luck everyone, I'm sure the standings will be change hugely as we go along - a bit like the Southern Premier Central really.
Attachments
20221126 World Cup Predctions.pdf
(112.82 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

After two thirds of the group stage matches it's Robin Wainwright who has opened up a four point lead at the top.

Charlie has overtaken Malaki as the best performing player. I was tempted to give Jack and Ashley bonus points after their goals this evening, but hey, it's a team game and not about individual glory and I'll be blowed if I'm giving all of the team bonus points :mrgreen:

Anyway, great win tonight, well done lads.
Attachments
20221128 World Cup Predctions.pdf
(112.88 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Halfway through the final round of group stage matches and Robin is still ahead by 3 points with Mrs Russell in second place thanks to having been the only person to get any points from the first two matches today - correctly getting the 1-0 Australian win!

Next update will probably be after the completion of the group stage on Friday.
Attachments
20221130 World Cup Predctions.pdf
(130.82 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

RST wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:59 pm Halfway through the final round of group stage matches and Robin is still ahead by 3 points with Mrs Russell in second place thanks to having been the only person to get any points from the first two matches today - correctly getting the 1-0 Australian win!

Next update will probably be after the completion of the group stage on Friday.
Nice to see a club legend at the top of the table and one of the nicest guys.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic