What a game!

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

BedfordshireBaker

What a game!

Post by BedfordshireBaker »

I'm not one to comment or post straight after a game but I have to say today is (in my opinion) one of the best performances I've seen in a a very long while :happy2:

After going behind twice, the Hitchin squad showed resilience, determination and grit and only kept pushing. In the past, there have been times where the squad have seemed instantly defeated and given up- far the opposite today. If anything, it felt like a win and given an extra few minutes it could have possibly gone that way. So many players were strong today- Charlie Horlock made some great saves, Rio Da Silva had another good game and Brad Bell's equaliser was a screamer.

Once again (as with Saturday previous), the refereeing and officials were atrocious- the 'penalty' given was quite clearly a slip, with no Hitchin player within a foot of the Coalville player! Many decisions went against Hitchin tonight but yet they kept going and fought to the last minute to secure a deserved point.

Putting that to one side, the game was fantastic and the boys deserve all the credit for docking Coalville of two points and demonstrating one of the strongest team performances of the season so far.

Hopefully they can build off this performance on Saturday away to Royston!

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What a game!

Post by Brian »

There's also something special about an evening game under lights, especially when it's foggy and wet.

Brilliant performance tonight.

All you can ask for is 100% commitment to the cause, we got that and more.
Peter_Barnes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Peter_Barnes »

I agree, Brian. A great performance by the lads against a very strong Coalville side. We had to show resilience and fight, but also I think the team played nice football as they grew in confidence as the game went on.

Agree that Charlie and Bradley were great. Rio also had a very good game. Also, Diogo put in another fine performance.

To be honest, the whole team deserve plaudits for getting a result tonight. I think Coalville will go up this season. Definitely one of the best teams we have seen at Top Field this year.
Mr Refreshment
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mr Refreshment »

I totally agree with all that's been said.
At times it seemed as if we were playing against 12 men. The ref being no 12.
Two scything two footed fouls against us within the first 20 minutes and a corner which clearly came off a defender's chest.
Then a foul given by the ref as a dive by our player who was on the point of being booked which was reversed by the timely intervention of the assistant.
A great evening with resilience and fortitude shown by the team.
Excellent :happy2:
Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller »

Agree with everything, it was superb to see the young team play with such passion. They pulled out all the stops in the second half and gave us all a thriller of a match.

Massive well done lads for digging deep and not giving up. Well done Mark and his coaching team for helping with their confidence.

Really great match to build on. Definitely a draw that felt like a win. COYC
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Enjoying the results without having been able to get to many games so far. Looking forward to Royston and hopefully this positivity on the pitch and on the forum continues.

Like the old days the number of comments and hope it continues!
Oldyeller
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Oldyeller »

Just to confirm I had a perfect view of the penalty; it was definitely a slip! On the other hand the one that was given definitely wasn’t!!
Thoroughly enjoyed the game and nice to see Mark a little more animated!
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Did anyone spot the Premier League Ref Graham Scott at last nights game?
He was mentoring the match Ref !
I wonder what he thought of his “performance “ ?
Brian Parker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian Parker »

What a difference from a few weeks ago, when all we seemed to do was park the bus. As a result performances were invariably dreary. These last two home games have been far more entertaining as we have taken the game to the opposition a lot more and been rewarded for it. This was really evident in the second half of last nights match when after too much big boot in the first half there was more intent on building our attacks, which led to a couple of really good goals and almost a third.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Steve wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:07 pm Did anyone spot the Premier League Ref Graham Scott at last nights game?
He was mentoring the match Ref !
I wonder what he thought of his “performance “ ?
The old feeling used to be that if a referee was being assessed/watched from a supporter perspective the ref wouldn't have a good game for whatever reason. Usually to strict.

Wish I could put names to referee's we have had down the years as some will have gone to the FL at somepoint. We have had some good one's but that rarely get's mentioned.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic