Mickleover bowled over

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mickleover bowled over

Post by KEITH »

Now that's what I call a performance :happy2: . This was by far the best that I've seen from the lads this season. Mickleover were blown away in the 1st half by 3 great goals from an attacking perspective, in particular Steve Cawley's 1st. Under pressure from their centre half his touch to bring a high bouncing ball under control & then poke it past the keeper was sublime. Defensively Mickleover were all at sea & we took full advantage. One downside to the half, & we always have at least one downside in a game, was conceding just before half time but, unlike last week at Royston where we fell apart in the 2nd half, we stood firm against the visitors onslaught with Charlie only having to make a few saves. Then we had probably our best move of the game with Rio taking on & beating the defender before whipping in a perfect cross evading all the defenders finding Bradley unmarked at the far post to coolly side foot a volley into the net, not as easy as it looked. This finished off Mickleover & we were able to see the game out relatively comfortably after that. Steve Cawley deservedly got MOTM but Ashley Hay must get a mention. He worked tirelessly all afternoon, winning virtually every header & chasing through balls & was a great foil for Steve Cawley. Shame he didn't get a goal that his performance deserved. All of the above was achieved because we had stability at the back with the presence of Ciaran Jones knitting the defense together, giving the rest of the team confidence to push forward. If we could play like this every week we'd be up with Tamworth at the top. We can only hope. Great win.

Pessimists are never disappointed.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Mickleover bowled over

Post by russell »

Agree with all the above .. Cawleys first touch is sublime. With him as the focal point and rio, Diogo, Jack snell and Ashley buzzing about we're a very enjoyable team to watch at the moment
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

An excellent all round performance.

Good to see with a more attacking line-up the goals are actually coming. First 15 league games we scored 13 goals, in the last 5 we have scored 12. Keep it going lads!
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

The attached photo gives a message as to where we were at yesterday. Let's hope we can build on it. I am no tactician or would be Manager, but I do feel the fact that we had an attacking mentality yesterday and would rather have won 10-7 than 4-1 helped. We didn't sit back and protect a lead and invite them on to us.

Mickleover were dangerous and they didn't come to us fourth in the table by being anything else. But in maintaining the desire to go forward, we actually gave them more to do defensively over the whole 90 minutes which as I saw it, helped our case.
MIC_0915.jpg
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

As Mickleover had conceded eight goals in their previous two matches, attacking them was a fairly obvious tactic.
Spooks
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Spooks »

Well done to the team looking forward to tonight’s game.
Each game is played on the performance on the day not how a team played in the last 2 previous matches.
Keep up the good work 👍
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic