Boxing Day Stats

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Boxing Day Stats

Post by Steve »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:08 am Having read and re-read the Boxing Day stats published in the weekly bulletin last Friday I’m quite surprised that no one has picked up on a pretty glaring error. Hitchin won the Boxing Day fixture last year at Royston 1-0 (played on 27th). Thought you may wish to correct that part. F01C844E-B904-4BDA-AD4B-9A43EB2EC8CB.jpeg
It was an away game so that’s why it’s written 0-1, perfectly correct as we won !

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:25 pm
Steve wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:12 pm
Jacqueline Mary wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:08 am Having read and re-read the Boxing Day stats published in the weekly bulletin last Friday I’m quite surprised that no one has picked up on a pretty glaring error. Hitchin won the Boxing Day fixture last year at Royston 1-0 (played on 27th). Thought you may wish to correct that part. F01C844E-B904-4BDA-AD4B-9A43EB2EC8CB.jpeg
It was an away game so that’s why it’s written 0-1, perfectly correct as we won !
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021 = 9 Fixtures, 6 Away and 3 at home. No mention of the Away Win last year at Royston in any part of the report or any of the stats from Boxing Day fixtures. The away defeat at Biggleswade in 2019 the one before last year was also written in the same way as the 1-0 win at Royston was. I swear if I said the sky was blue someone on this forum would say it is pink with gold frills around the edges! :mrgreen: :big_grin:
Just goes to show the media team cant post anything unless it's proof checked by Jackie with the mandatory advert for the Jackie show everytime the team hit's a rough patch.
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Agreed Darren, and we didn’t play on Boxing Day last Christmas, we played on the 27th!
Becca1980
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Becca1980 »

Would Jacqueline get so much criticism if she was a bloke? some of you seem to bully her for literally anything she posts.
Yes some of her posts are provocative - I pointed one out with my first ever post on here, but I haven't seen anything provocative since then.

Is there anything wrong with pointing out a mistake? if I make a mistake and didn't notice it I would rather be told about it, that way I can try and get it right next time and what Jacqueline points out does appear to be a mistake or isn't written in a clear way for those reading on their phones.

Personally I would have wrote the list of results like:
2021 Royston away - W 1-0
2019 Biggleswade away - L 2-0

That way the writer nor the reader gets confused because you can see W is for won and L is for lost.

If Jacqueline was being extra picky she could suggest that just above the boxing day info in the player news area, why Finley Wilkinson being in the squad needs it's own line when a couple of lines underneath it there is a list of 3 players who are in the squad for the Kings Langley game and Finley could have been on that line.
Finley Wilkinson will be in the squad for the Kings Langley game.
Toby Syme, Steve Gleeson and Kye Tearle are all in the squad for the Kings Langley game.
Will Steve get the same negative replies for pointing out that we didn't even play on Boxing day last season?

Now is probably a good time to remind ourselves of a general rule amongst forums and a very good rule at that IMO: "you are replying to the content of the post not the poster"

The Jackie show isn't related to the topic - and to keep mentioning it gives it more publicity, if you don't like the posts ignore them, they will eventually drop down the topic list and move onto page 2.

Also if you are always logged in when you visit the forum - if you click on the members profile - there is an 'add foe' button - tapping the add foe button means you will not see their posts - sorted, sadly this doesn't work when logged out so it's not useful for most users.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

Good post, Becca.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

MichaelD wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:41 pm Good post, Becca.
Agreed :thumbsup:
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Becca1980 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:08 pm Would Jacqueline get so much criticism if she was a bloke? some of you seem to bully her for literally anything she posts.
Yes some of her posts are provocative - I pointed one out with my first ever post on here, but I haven't seen anything provocative since then.

Is there anything wrong with pointing out a mistake? if I make a mistake and didn't notice it I would rather be told about it, that way I can try and get it right next time and what Jacqueline points out does appear to be a mistake or isn't written in a clear way for those reading on their phones.

Personally I would have wrote the list of results like:
2021 Royston away - W 1-0
2019 Biggleswade away - L 2-0

That way the writer nor the reader gets confused because you can see W is for won and L is for lost.

If Jacqueline was being extra picky she could suggest that just above the boxing day info in the player news area, why Finley Wilkinson being in the squad needs it's own line when a couple of lines underneath it there is a list of 3 players who are in the squad for the Kings Langley game and Finley could have been on that line.
Finley Wilkinson will be in the squad for the Kings Langley game.
Toby Syme, Steve Gleeson and Kye Tearle are all in the squad for the Kings Langley game.
Will Steve get the same negative replies for pointing out that we didn't even play on Boxing day last season?

Now is probably a good time to remind ourselves of a general rule amongst forums and a very good rule at that IMO: "you are replying to the content of the post not the poster"

The Jackie show isn't related to the topic - and to keep mentioning it gives it more publicity, if you don't like the posts ignore them, they will eventually drop down the topic list and move onto page 2.

Also if you are always logged in when you visit the forum - if you click on the members profile - there is an 'add foe' button - tapping the add foe button means you will not see their posts - sorted, sadly this doesn't work when logged out so it's not useful for most users.

As you mention bullying I dispute that as we're dealing with someone who has done "Shoots" on just about every volunteer of the club over a 10 year period without any sign of wrong doing let alone apologetic behavior. The bullying element is far greater there than anything I or others have posted and it's certainly not based around sexism on my part.

The recent post regarding the broadcasting team being a key one and numerous people called her out on that yet no admission of wrongdoing or appologies. There have been many others down the years.

I would prefer a blocking system similar to facebook where there is an out of sight out of mind. She has been blocked by myself on facebook for some years now.

After 10 years or belittling people and a general arrogance in certain post's it will and has provoked people more intelligent than myself and im firmly of the believe posting should not be a right to those that wish to abuse it.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Darren, there is no disputing there have been postings on here in the past that could have been dealt with differently, however they are in the past and history now.

Time to move on.

Yes, someone is making posts that could be interpreted as fault finding or inflammatory however they only become that if people bite and have a pop back. It takes two to cause an argument. Just ignore them, all you are doing is giving them credence.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Brian wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:09 pm Darren, there is no disputing there have been postings on here in the past that could have been dealt with differently, however they are in the past and history now.

Time to move on.

Yes, someone is making posts that could be interpreted as fault finding or inflammatory however they only become that if people bite and have a pop back. It takes two to cause an argument. Just ignore them, all you are doing is giving them credence.
Loosely agree Brian but if you took me off the forum for example would it stop? No.

How many dont post on the forum now having previously done so?

Having been a forum member the last 10 years Brian you must know these things work in cycles. Another controversial post will come in the coming weeks/months and there is no penalty for it. You can effectively say what you like.

Going forward would prefer it if the blocking system is more effective if this is something that could be looked into? It has worked for me on facebook where by blocking a member they effectively disappear from that platform. I think it would benefit more than myself.
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

DarrenW wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:30 pm
Brian wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:09 pm Darren, there is no disputing there have been postings on here in the past that could have been dealt with differently, however they are in the past and history now.

Time to move on.

Loosely agree Brian but if you took me off the forum for example would it stop? No.

How many dont post on the forum now having previously done so?

Having been a forum member the last 10 years Brian you must know these things work in cycles. Another controversial post will come in the coming weeks/months and there is no penalty for it. You can effectively say what you like.

Going forward would prefer it if the blocking system is more effective if this is something that could be looked into? It has worked for me on facebook where by blocking a member they effectively disappear from that platform. I think it would benefit more than myself.
As an ex Moderator of this Forum I have not got involved. Becca makes a very good point that on a Forum, you should be responding to the post, not to the person. And that, like it or not, is what is happening and it does not help.

Darren, you say: "Another controversial post will come in the coming weeks/months and there is no penalty for it. You can effectively say what you like."

Correct. Yes you can so long as you do not infringe Forum rules. They are there on the website for everyone to see. People are entitled to be controversial to try to provoke a reaction - lord knows I have done it enough in the past, not just here but in other circles around the Club. Keeping it impersonal, the original poster may be seeking attention, they may be "lighting the touch paper and retiring", and their fun is derived from seeing the reaction from those who bite. And if that's how you get your fun, why wouldn't you?

And as for those who have chosen not to post anymore.....that is their CHOICE. We all have that same choice.

But in conclusion, I think that what Brian and Becca have said is right - if you are replying, reply to the posting and NOT the person. Or ignore it and move on. You can't just block a person for being the person they are. But you can try to understand them and respond accordingly and in a way that is best for you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic