Women at the Game

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Women at the Game

Post by Kate Deller »

Hi All,

This is aimed at everyone not just women.

During my time here at Top Field which is only 7+ years, I have noticed an increase of females and children which has been a great source of joy to the Club and myself. I really do hope that everyone who visits the ground feels welcome, safe and more inclined to return to another match. All of the volunteers have worked so hard to make the stadium cleaner, tidier and much more welcoming.

We will be preparing soon to advertise this years "Women at the Game" which will be 4th March as close to International Womens' day as we can.

My question is what would encourage you as a woman to come to this and any other match? What would encourage you as a man to bring your wife, girlfriend or mother along to this or any match?

Top field really has such a community feel with the diverse set of supporters we are lucky to have, obviously it would be great to see this grow even larger.

Thank you all for any thought you could put to this.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Women at the Game

Post by DarrenW »

Taken 3 ex g/f's over a period of 20 odd years all 3 enjoyed it and came back at somepoint later.

As recently as Royston invited a friend who has followed up by going to see Royston a couple of times since as she enjoyed it that much. At our expense with the result.

Putting it all together it's about breaking stereotypes as a work collegue told me recently that going to a football match is "Man's stuff" which I of course challenged and said times are very much changing for the better on that one.

Breaking such historical stereotypes I feel is the challenge but in a small space of time I feel there has been a great improvement in attitudes and mentalities regarding this within football not the club alone.

Back in the 90's would I have said it was a great place to take the family? No as there was no real behavior mandate in short you could and some did say what they liked. Now it's a massive yes for so many reasons. bad language is minmal compared to how it once was along with a few other things banished to the dustbin of history.
Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:42 pm Good evening Kate,

Good posting and equally a good choice of date for the HTFC Women at the Game.

As one of the biggest critics of the ladies toilet facilities inside the club house pre 2020 I have also given credit where credit is due to Kate verbally and the club for the hygiene transformation in recent times of the same toilets. This is paramount for any entertainment or sporting fixture at any venue anywhere. In survey after survey completed on line in recent times the number one priority for most people and in particular for women in their choice of venue for a social event was the condition and quality of the toilet facilities. I can’t comment on the condition of the outside toilets since 2020 in the ground because I haven’t used them since 2019. But I’m sure from the transformation of the ground they’re equally as clean. It is so pleasantly noticeable how immaculately clean the ladies toilets are now in the club every single time I have used them. I’m sure others will agree.

This is a huge factor in attracting women not just to HTFC but any sporting facility.
Thanks For responding Jacqueline,

Totally noted, the loos were sadly a bit worn to be kind. Really pleased to hear that you still find the Canary Club persistently cleaner. That is lovely feedback gratefully received.

The outside ones are still dated, Martyn makes a great job keeping them clean and David Tudball and myself are always checking them before, during and after the game to ensure they are well stocked and kept clean. A lick of paint probably wouldn't go amiss and I hope that we can get this done when the weather warms up a bit.

We will keep on top of this as time goes on.

Thank you for your feedback :-)
Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller »

DarrenW wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:45 pm Taken 3 ex g/f's over a period of 20 odd years all 3 enjoyed it and came back at somepoint later.

As recently as Royston invited a friend who has followed up by going to see Royston a couple of times since as she enjoyed it that much. At our expense with the result.

Putting it all together it's about breaking stereotypes as a work collegue told me recently that going to a football match is "Man's stuff" which I of course challenged and said times are very much changing for the better on that one.

Breaking such historical stereotypes I feel is the challenge but in a small space of time I feel there has been a great improvement in attitudes and mentalities regarding this within football not the club alone.

Back in the 90's would I have said it was a great place to take the family? No as there was no real behavior mandate in short you could and some did say what they liked. Now it's a massive yes for so many reasons. bad language is minmal compared to how it once was along with a few other things banished to the dustbin of history.
Hi Darren,

I totally agree with you. The stereotypes are gradually breaking down. I was pleased to meet your friend at Royston, hope to see her again sometime soon, let her know about the Women at the game match.

This is a slow process and we can be patient with it. Top Field is such a great place to be on match day, really friendly and as you said the bad language is minimal. Security and Marshalls do help to remind visiting supporters and it is a very welcome change.

Its really pleasing to hear that you encourage women to come, thank you for helping to break the barriers. :-)
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Tamworth 2 - 0 Nuneaton
Attendance: 2,125
Game abandoned in the 55TH minute due to crowd troubles between opposing fans. Interesting to see what the southern league does about it. Wasn’t enough policing in my opinion for a local derby that is known to be boisterous.

Pasted from Facebook. Unless 1500 Tamworth fans come down I see no issue. Simply look's like they did not prepare fully for a 2000 crowd which requires proper crowd control.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

If the bunch of rabid idiots who populate that shed thing at Tamworth are somehow able to navigate their way to Hitchin and intend to cause trouble then make them pay for their own stewarding.. don't see why we should have to dip into our own finances
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

This thread is Women At The Game isn't it?
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

I hear you Chris and knowing our wonderful volunteers our WATG event will be great.. but let's not brush last night under the table - this is the same club that forced Biggleswade off at half time due to racist abuse, and the club themselves don't seem interested in addressing it.. see also the way the clubs official social media trolled us during the petrol shortage
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

Have to agree with Chris N on this.

The thread was to raise awareness of Women At The Game and get ideas on how to improve the match day experience for ladies attending home games.

Please can we keep this on topic.

I'm sure the club will be well aware that last nights game was abandoned.

Discussions about other clubs should be done under Talk Football General

Thanks
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

ClubAdmin wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:54 am Have to agree with Chris N on this.

The thread was to raise awareness of Women At The Game and get ideas on how to improve the match day experience for women attending home games.

Please can we keep this on topic.

I'm sure the club will be well aware that last nights game was abandoned.

Discussions about other clubs should be done under Talk Football General

Thanks
Match day experience isn't enhanced by the spectacle of testosterone-fuelled (and fuelled by anything else) away supporters in the faces of our stewards after the match. That looked like the case with some of the visitors last Saturday.

Do we want a repeat performance from the other set of participants in last night's shameful abandonment at the showcase game when we are trying to attract new fans? So it is totally relevant.

(Matchday experience probably improved by not being in this league tbf.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic