Billy Izzard: Cup Winning Winger

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Billy Izzard: Cup Winning Winger

Post by anthony.brown »

Between March 1932 and January 1933 Billy Izzard played barely a dozen games for us, while during that period he continued to play for the Army XI.
However, two of those games were cup final victories: AFA Senior Cup v Derbyshire Amateurs on 7th May 1932 (a 6-0 replay win) and the Herts Senior Cup v Apsley a week later (a 5-1 win). Billy scored one goal in each final.
The London Daily News of 2nd May 1932 noted: Izzard, the Army forward, was perhaps the finest player on view [in the drawn first match of the AFA final] And nearly won the game for Hitchin with a great drive towards the close.
The Derby Daily Telegraph of 9th May 1932, referring to the 6-0 AFA final win: [Hitchin had] two real live wingers in Izzard and Lynch....... [Armitage] and Izzard were a dangerous pair, and in addition to scoring one of the goals, he [Izzard] was largely responsible for the others. His centres were exceptionally accurate and on three occasions the centre forward had little to do but tap the ball out of reach of Aird [the Derbyshire Amateurs keeper].

Are there any local Izzards who could give more accurate information about Billy's biographical details? I've found a William George Izzard, born in Hitchin on 11th June 1911. Billy Izzard was known to be in the Royal Tank Corps.

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Billy Izzard: Cup Winning Winger

Post by Greenfinch »

I know of a Roy Izzard, think he played for Hitchin Town Supporters FC, also think he had something to do with being the secretary for Hitchin Town FC not too sure.Did speak to somebody at Cheshunt on Tuesday, I wonder if that was him,pretty tall looked like a centre half to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic