Financial fair play

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Financial fair play

Post by DarrenW »

Something that has grated me for some years and often used in the Top 4 divisions. Financial fair play.

It does not exist at our level. Clubs spending beyond there means and having a guy whose willing to pump the money in well beyond the clubs take?

Ive seen loads down the years Arlesey,Histon,St Neots have all crashed yet they was able to be promoted to a much higher level til the money dried out. More to come I suspect. Coalville look suspect on that one.

Chances of Hitchin winning this league? Virtually nil as we balance the books far as im aware. To win this league you have to throw money at it.

I just wish we had financial rules in this league to level out of the field.

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Financial fair play

Post by Brian »

Is there really financial fair play at top level, I don't think so.

Many big clubs spend way beyond their means and have transfer embargos for not following the rules. Also if things go badly there is always some foreign investor waiting in the wings.

The difference at our level is an individual without too much money can make a big difference very quickly. The problem comes once they lose interest or run out of money.

I would love us to have someone pump some big money in but I want the club to be around long term so I understand and accept how the club is run.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Brian wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:08 pm Is there really financial fair play at top level, I don't think so.

Many big clubs spend way beyond their means and have transfer embargos for not following the rules. Also if things go badly there is always some foreign investor waiting in the wings.

The difference at our level is an individual without too much money can make a big difference very quickly. The problem comes once they lose interest or run out of money.

I would love us to have someone pump some big money in but I want the club to be around long term so I understand and accept how the club is run.
I fully agree with what your saying Brian. I have an for years now felt it unfair we have run to a sustainable system and let's face it we cant win the league due to sugar daddies pushing money into certain clubs.

Also agree the top flight clubs have the loop holes and they will find them. Very hard one to police that.
Becca1980
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Becca1980 »

If FFP was in the Southern League some of the rich owners would be getting their friends who own National League teams to sign players and loan them to them instead.

IMO basic rules like this would make things more competitive...

Each starting 11 must have 3 players who are under 20.
Each starting 11 must have 3 players who are under 25.
Clubs can only sign 3 high earners.

Rules that force clubs into putting more effort into developing their youth players or signing young players on loan from clubs 2 leagues above.

If every match is guaranteed to be more competitive, in hindsight it should get more fans into grounds, young local players getting into the team could also gain extra fans.

Problem is there is so much 1 rule for 1, 1 rule for the other in football, which starts at the very top, as an example goal line technology in the Premier League, Championship etc but not lower leagues, which is like saying the lower leagues aren't as important which is totally disrespectful to the owners, fans and players at the lower levels. If even the basic things in the game aren't equal it never will be.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Interesting posting Becca1980.

I like the idea of encouraging clubs to produce more home grown talent. However does taking players on loan from higher level clubs actually stifle bringing home grown youngsters through. I do think having five subs plus two youth/academy players on the bench for every game is a good way to blood youngsters.

Although more local players might encourage a few extra through the turnstile, the evidence I have seen is fans will follow a winning team.
When we were playing in the division below but winning most weeks we had over a thousand to games on three or four occasions. St Neots attracted more fans when they were doing well however as soon as they couldn't get out of our league, the fans vanished. At least at Hitchin we have a very loyal fan base.

I don't know what the answer is to make things better. Although the money man has gone from Histon, they still have a top youth academy and I believe charge parents quite a lot of money to put their children through however the senior side is playing at a low level and I heard not paying players much, if anything. The problem there is any decent player at Histon is going to move on pretty quickly if there is more chance of progression and potentially better wages elsewhere.
Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller »

I think we have found out the past couple of seasons its more than just what happens on the pitch to increase our supporters. The whole experience of a good day spent, great food in friendly surroundings also makes the day. We won some new supporters who had just moved to the town and wanted to support their local team, lets hope this increases. Bigger gates, more money to spend.

I agree that there really should be some rules to follow in football for making up a team. Ive always thought there were far too many plyers from abroad in our Premiership teams, there is so much home grown talent and I would love to see their opportunities increase.

I like the ideas that Becca has put forward, it would certainly put things on a more level playing field; but I also like the idea of the underdog beating the financially better off teams; there is a real sense of pride when you turn them over.

As mentioned on here, we have teams fly through the leagues and then make their merry way back down when the money has run out. Lets hope we get in the play offs next season, we have the same chances as everyone else. Our team ( if we can keep hold of them) will be so ready and up for that, you could see the passion in them this season.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

Assuming that the team is successful, spending more wages on two or three experienced players might pay for itself through bigger crowds, and, thus, increased revenue.
Not keen on restrictions on other teams to try and make the league 'fairer', if that is even possible.
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Even if wage caps were introduced to non league it would never stop the brown envelopes being handed out with the cash in!
I’m sure HMRC would open a hornets nest if they descended unannounced on semi pro clubs.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Steve wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:19 pm Even if wage caps were introduced to non league it would never stop the brown envelopes being handed out with the cash in!
I’m sure HMRC would open a hornets nest if they descended unannounced on semi pro clubs.
Certainly cant disagree with your point there Steve.

I like Becca's idea but cant see that getting past in my lifetime. It makes sound sense but the FA dont operate that way.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Once the filthy lucre appears, fickle football fans forget the (often deadly) foibles of their benefactors; and they fail to consider what will happen when the cash cow inevitably moves on to fresh pastures. It will never change, notwithstanding FFP rules which have not scraped the surface of the problem. Corporate lawyers searching out loopholes will always mean compromise, making FFP useless.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic