The Times report Conclusion

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Times report Conclusion

Post by Greenfinch »

When Rovers pulled back a goal with, effectively, their first serious reprisal, Lee Archer driving the ball in from the edge of the penalty box in the 22nd minute after a loosely cleared corner, the signal was raised for all out Hitchin defence. The big policeman Williams, became invaluable in aerial clearances, the slight Burns became the one release from interminable pressure.The siege and the match was over, the quality had not been any contradiction to the worries that English football is losing technical quality. And yet we will remember it, just as I will never forget travelling on from Hitchin, to the Cafe' Royal, to share with 240 Middlesex Wanderers the ninetieth celebration of their unique amateur philosophy. There among guests from all around the world where the Wanderers have played, in 39 countries was the wonderful comradeship, akin to a regimental reunion, that binds men who pursue this game for absolutely no financial gain. Twice in one Saturday, the true spirit of football, gave itself to this observer; I count myself very privileged. G. Sylvester, C. McMenamin, J. Bone, M. Burke, G. Covington, I. Scott, D. Cooper, K. Gillard,L. Burns,G. Williams, S. Conroy.