Our Home Grown Match Reporters

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Our Home Grown Match Reporters

Post by Greenfinch »

There's been so many match reporters over the years,too many to mention,and connected to the two main local newspapers at the time, The Hertfordshire Express and The Pictorial, now only The Comet is still running.
But my thoughts are with more recent times, and three names come to mind, Reliable Roy,always available, and delivers a matter of fact unbiased report. Perfect Pipeman, full of detail, precise, with snippets of banter and anecdotes.My favourite though is No nonsense Neil, I always felt that I had been to the game,somehow he managed to wrap everything up,and story like.
Everyone has their views of a match,its not easy, trying to watch the game, writing at the same time, names of players, substitutions,bookings,who scored the goals, being disturbed and lots more.Oh, cold fingers.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Our Home Grown Match Reporters

Post by DarrenW »

Greenfinch wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:55 pm There's been so many match reporters over the years,too many to mention,and connected to the two main local newspapers at the time, The Hertfordshire Express and The Pictorial, now only The Comet is still running.
But my thoughts are with more recent times, and three names come to mind, Reliable Roy,always available, and delivers a matter of fact unbiased report. Perfect Pipeman, full of detail, precise, with snippets of banter and anecdotes.My favourite though is No nonsense Neil, I always felt that I had been to the game,somehow he managed to wrap everything up,and story like.
Everyone has their views of a match,its not easy, trying to watch the game, writing at the same time, names of players, substitutions,bookings,who scored the goals, being disturbed and lots more.Oh, cold fingers.
I couldn't separate any of them all have there own way with words. All excellent. Pipeman very unique which I like.

I believe Barry Swain used to do some reports? He was also very good with words.

We have been very lucky with match reporters last 30 years or so.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I agree entirely. A Pipeman report is essential reading, reminding one of the incidents fast fading from memory.
Ever since Tom Wooding (Sparbed) hit the ground running in the 1928/29 season we have been well served by so many correspondents. 'Brigadier' of the Beds & Herts Pictorial and 'Soccerates' of the Hertfordshire Express are well worth re-reading to catch up on the early days.
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

DarrenW wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:44 pm
I couldn't separate any of them all have there own way with words. All excellent. Pipeman very unique which I like.

I believe Barry Swain used to do some reports? He was also very good with words.

I have almost all of the newspaper reports from games from the late 80s till the late noughties, including many of Barry's reports. Will have to dig them out sometime and have a good read.

Would be great if all of this information could be compiled in one place and made accessible/archived for everyone to access. Unfortunately, it needs time to do this.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Chris_N wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:27 pm
DarrenW wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:44 pm

I have almost all of the newspaper reports from games from the late 80s till the late noughties, including many of Barry's reports. Will have to dig them out sometime and have a good read.

Would be great if all of this information could be compiled in one place and made accessible/archived for everyone to access. Unfortunately, it needs time to do this.
Agree it would be good.

Even further afield I believe Medwyn compiled and spent many hours at the Library reports from donkey's years ago. Sadly I dont think this got passed onto the club. It was all his own research so he is entitled.
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

All Neil's (and Sascha's and some other person's) reports were on the old website - going back to approx 2005. Were they saved somewhere?
Sky Blue Canary
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sky Blue Canary »

Cat Daisy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:12 pm
All Neil's (and Sascha's and some other person's) reports were on the old website - going back to approx 2005. Were they saved somewhere?
Yes please, I want these to be available again.
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

Sky Blue Canary wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:51 pm
Cat Daisy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:12 pm
Yes please, I want these to be available again.
Don't we all? Just needs a website Manager.........any offers? I have zip. files with the 2016-17 and 2015-16 reports in but nothing beyond that. Wondering if Stewart Curtis may still have these? They must have been kept somewhere! ??
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

I have some of Sascha’s, Roy’s and mine. Happy to compare lists. It’s Neil’s reports from earlier that I don’t have any of.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic