Neil Bunker, FA Cup Replay at Foggy Swindon Town

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Neil Bunker, FA Cup Replay at Foggy Swindon Town

Post by Greenfinch »

Just reminiscing, from many moons ago, when Hitchin, after drawing with Swindon at home 1-1 (or was it 0-0)
travelled to the midweek replay,on a very foggy night.From the kick off, I can recall the fog circling round the stadium,but enough vision to see both goals,and just before the game was abandoned in the 20th minute, Neil Bunker unleashed a screaming shot from just outside the penalty box into the top corner, what a goal.
The match was replayed at a later date, where we lost 3-1 after extra time, John Trollope their Captain scoring the goals.The match will always remind of Neil Bunkers goal though, (just thought you would all like to know that)

Brian Parker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Neil Bunker, FA Cup Replay at Foggy Swindon Town

Post by Brian Parker »

The first match was 1-1 and I remember it well because it was Neil Bunker who scored the equaliser with a towering header when he rose head and shoulders above everyone to power the ball into the top corner. It's like you say, a goal that you never forget because it's photographed into your memory.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

I had completely forgot about the abandoned game.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Hitchin just itchin' to go
By PAT COLLINS
Hitchin 1 Swindon 1
Big Neil Bunker, scorer of the equaliser that takes Hitchin to a Tuesday FA Cup replay, said: "I shall be surprised if we lose at Swindon."
He explained: "We were not at our best today. It was the conditions. I don't think the game should have been played."
It was a fine second half header by Bunker that put raring-to-go Hitchin level and into the third round draw for the first time.
INSPIRED
He said: "It would suit us playing away." And he pointed to his team's record of losing only one away game this season. The Isthmian club's deserved draw was built on an inspired second half which turned the game completely in their favour. Bunker's flick header from a free kick deceived Allan in the Swindon goal and brought near pandemonium. Police dogs were needed to clear the pitch of delighted fans.
Swindon manager Danny Williams said of Hitchin: "I'll take nothing away from them, they came at us and played for each other. I'm not confident about the replay if the conditions are still like this. In normal conditions I would take our extra class and stamina to settle it. But anything can happen as things are now."
BEHIND
The other Williams Hitchin manager Andy, said: " After that first half I told the lads that we had to get behind their defence - and we did it. Playing at Swindon won't worry us. We like to travel - and do well when we do."
HITCHIN: Godfrey 6; Hammond 6, Brimson 6, *MARTIN 8, Gear 7 - Mulkern 6, Archibald 6, Wilson 6 - Giggle 6, Bunker 7 Watson 5 (inj.), Sub Whishaw.
SWINDON: *ALLEN 8 - Dixon 6, Aizlewood 7, Prophett 7, Trollope 7 - McLaughlin 5, McHale 5, Stroud 6 - Anderson 5, Syrett 5, Moss 6.
Ref. T.Bune (Billingshurst) 8
The People Sunday 12th December 1976

SWINDON VICTORY MARCH IS HALTED BY A PEA-SOUPER
Swirling fog stopped Swindon in full flight when they seemed to be heading for FA Cup victory over hard-pressed part-timers Hitchin at the County Ground last night. Referee Tom Bune called off the players after 66 minutes as mist turned to thick fog. Swindon had gone ahead in the seventh minute after Hitchin right-back Kevin Hammond cleared a shot by David Moss off the goal-line. Hammond's clearance reached the edge of the area and David Syrett chipped in his sixth goal of the season. But Swindon missed the chance of a second goal when Trevor Anderson failed to score from the penalty spot for the third time this season after 17 minutes. Moss was brought down by Kevin Mulkern but Hitchin goalkeeper Brian Godfrey went full length to push Anderson's kick round the post. Hitchin offered brave resistance, but they were under pressure, and soon after the interval Syrett had a second gola disallowed for offside. To add to Hitchin's problems their star winger Peter Watson, who was playing with a broken toe, was replaced by Jose Whishaw after 61 minutes.
Daily Mirror Wednesday 15th December 1976

Moss Sweeps Swindon into the third round.
By GRAHAM BAKER
Hitchin's hopes of a place in the third round of the FA Cup were shattered last night by two goals from David Moss in the last five minutes of extra-time.
Swindon now go on to meet Fulham.
The Isthmian League side were leading Third Division Swindon until the 70th minute.
Then Dave Syrett snatched an equaliser to send this second round replay into extra time.
Hitchin, who had been under pressure for most of last week's abandoned game, showed more composure this time. They went close in the first half with a header by Neil Bunker. Hitchin stunned a crowd of 6,064 when they took a 51st minute lead with a rising shot from Bunker. Swindon manager Danny Williams immediately answered the demands of the fans who had been chanting for Don Rogers. He sent Rogers on in place of Ray McHale.
Daily Mirror Wednesday 22nd December 1976
Oldyeller
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Oldyeller »

Just remembered for the abandoned game the supporters coach arrived late, so we missed the start of the game….not a great night🫣
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic