Dan Webb's Testimonial Game

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dan Webb's Testimonial Game

Post by Brian »

What a great afternoon.

Well done to the 863 who braved terrible weather however they were treated to a keenly contested friendly which was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone. There was no lack of passion from either side with Hitchin finding themselves 2-0 down at half time having been the better footballing side.

Dan put his boots on once again and came on for the second half.

I spoke to Freddie on the radio commentary at half time and he asked what I thought we might get from Dan Webb in the second half. I suggested the ref might give us a dodgy last minute penalty for Dan to step up and score.
I was close, it wasn't dodgy but clear hand ball, Dan's penalty was very well saved by Brian Okonkwo, who spent a game on loan with us last season but Dan put the rebound in to amazing cheers and scenes for a 'friendly'.

It was then down to the 'hand of Josh' to grab a 91st minute equaliser and still time for Robbie Burns to roll back the years with a sublime lob that Okonkwo had to make a superb one handed tip over the bar.

Some cameo appearances by former colleagues such as Matt Lench, Lewis Rolfe, Callum Donnelly, Stuart Pearson, Simon Martin, Robbie Burns, Jay Dowie, Josh Bickerstaff and the legend that is John Frendo.

A great afternoon and a fitting send off for a loyal club servant.

Villager - sorry to hear you had a negative experience yesterday. It's important feedback is received.

My son and his girlfriend attended for the first time for a couple of seasons and he thought the ground looked amazing compared to how he remembered it.
He was full of praise for the choice of food the caterers are offering and the quality. They also brought HTFC shirts and fleeces in the shop for both of them and thought the selection of items in the shop impressive.
He had one small piece of advice how he thought we could improve something and I'll speak to the club to put his suggestion forward.

Overall what a great afternoon.

Shout out to Roger Birdsey who I bumped into at the model railway exhibition in the morning but couldn't make the game.
You will be gutted to have missed it and the cameos.

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Dan Webb's Testimonial Game

Post by Chris_N »

Echo what Brian says - a great afternoon enjoyed by a lot of people. The 863 attendance was more than most of us expected, except Roy who expects 1000 for every game now!!! :lol: :lol:

Record takings in the Club Shop for a match and when I think how I used to toil and almost have to threaten to extract teeth to acquire a sale back in the noughties, the Shop was rammed and folks were buying loads of the Club clothing on offer. It was great to see.
Brian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:28 amVillager - sorry to hear you had a negative experience yesterday. It's important feedback is received.
Villager if you read this: You must please give feedback to Kate or myself so that we can address the matter with Security, whatever it was. We can only improve match day experiences if we know what caused them to go a bit haywire. So please...do come and see one of us and let us know what happened.

Great to see both the cameraderie from the 2016-2017 team that still existed and just what high regard they have for Webby. Matt Lench had already played 90 minutes for Slough earlier in the day. Lewis Rolfe I understand got consent from his Manager at Chesham to be able to take part. And for me the highlight? We had Frendo, Callum Donnelly, Lewis Rolfe and Josh Bickerstaff ALL on the pitch at the same time and NONE of them got booked! They're clearly going soft in their old age :lol: :lol: :lol:

A great day. Here's to many more!
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Saddened I could not make it but work rules my life these days and moving to Sandy next week im simply accepting my season wont start probably until September.

You mention the radio Brian..... Will you be taking the mic up again when Freddie goes to Uni or have plans been decided? I would be in favor and know how much you liked it the first time.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Hi Darren

Marac and Freddie are the main commentators. We have a number of guest commentators who help out when required.

Yesterday Josh Mollison commentated with Freddie whilst both Brett Donnelly and JCS have done stints on the mic. I think Ciaran Jones as well.

I'm a match day volunteer when available and fill in where the club needs me to. Yesterday I was on tannoy duties as the lads were unavailable so Freddie and I agreed I would have a chat with him about my memories of Dan as a half time filler.

Freddie should be around this season I believe however I've offered to be a reserve as and if required.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Brian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:27 pm Hi Darren

Marac and Freddie are the main commentators. We have a number of guest commentators who help out when required.

Yesterday Josh Mollison commentated with Freddie whilst both Brett Donnelly and JCS have done stints on the mic. I think Ciaran Jones as well.

I'm a match day volunteer when available and fill in where the club needs me to. Yesterday I was on tannoy duties as the lads were unavailable so Freddie and I agreed I would have a chat with him about my memories of Dan as a half time filler.

Freddie should be around this season I believe however I've offered to be a reserve as and if required.
Sorry I jumped in there just know how much you enjoyed it when it got started.

Thanks for your reply look forward to the team doing commentaries going forward as im dependent on it a lot of the time if im on work time.
Freddie Cardy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Freddie Cardy »

Hi Darren- it was great to have Brian back on the mic on Saturday and he'll always be welcome to join us on the radio.

We'll have a range of guests joining Marac when I'm at uni, whilst I will be able to commentate on many of our away games this season as I'll be based in Derby.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

No apologies needed Darren.

Yes still very much enjoy it but the game seems to have got faster or maybe my brain has got a little slower. It's tough keeping up with the game at times.
Football commentary is about entertaining the listener, creating the atmosphere and excitement as much as actual ball by ball commentary. It is fun as is the tannoy and helping park cars. It's all about the match day experience and being part of the club.

Freddie, a nice couple of local ones at Mickleover and Long Eaton for you.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Many thanks to Tim Kitchener for this great video of the day:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic