A Bird's Eye View

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A Bird's Eye View

Post by Greenfinch »

I flew in on Saturday, and perched on the floodlight pylon, nearest to St Mark's church, and looked towards the sky, perhaps hoping for divine intervention from above,but it didn't work.
How can we go from a team flirting with the playoffs to floating above the relegation places? Well its a combination of lots of reasons, and circumstances,with injuries to key players, players playing out of position,new players arriving and getting used to our style of play, but most of all our style of play.
Visiting teams know how we play, when you have a confident team, and trust in each others awareness playing out from the back can be rewarding, but lately,we spend more time in our own half, passing it sideways and back to Charlie.When we eventually get the ball to midfield, we either lose it by getting tackled or pass it to the opposition, nobody is running into space or screaming for the ball,also it takes so long to get there, that any visiting teams have the time to organise their defence.On Saturday, we were running around like a shoal of fish, no wide man, midfield getting overun, couldn't hold the ball up. I felt for the team, and for Mark, we are better than this, there is talent in this team too, but just for a while we need to change tactics and play the long ball more often, and take the game to them.

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: A Bird's Eye View

Post by Steve »

Spot on Peter, and I would like us to use the “press” like Luton do.
Imagine what myself and the other groundstaff are feeling like when we work our butts off getting and keeping the pitch as good as it is only to keep seeing the team lose, perhaps the good surface helps the opposition raise their game !
Andy Denniss
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Andy Denniss »

Have to agree, we get a free kick say on the halfway line and then play it back or sideways and then ends up getting to Charlie who kicks it to the halfway line where we started. We could pump the ball into there box and ok might not win many headers but try to pick the second ball up just outside there box. At this rate Charlie will be leading in the possession ratings. I watched a team at arlesey recently who were 3rd in the league who hardly ever played out from the back. Preferring to kick the ball long and try to win 2nd ball and it's working for them.
Sky Blue Canary
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sky Blue Canary »

If you look at my photographs, before the pandemic I regularly posted 100+ photos per game but now it's down to around 70.

Simply because the ball is always down the other end and doesn't come near me. When we played Kettering and were 0-1 down at half time, there was an eleven minute period near the start of the second half when I didn't take a single picture.

The number of photos should increase with the better light in the next two months as I start using my longer lens once more.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic